From: BarryM on
Followed your work around directions in packaging my PPT to a CD by first
performing "Package to CD" to my hard drive and then burning the files to a
CD using MS CD Burner accessories.

Problem: The ptview application fails to run. Autorun will bring it up
when first putting the CD into the drive but when clicked, it looks like the
viewer starts up and then it stops executing.

If I then open the CD folder from My computer and then click on the pptview,
it does start up and asks me to select the presentation. If I do it this
way, I encounter an error message stating "This file requires the
Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System to view content". I am on 2007 and
there is no 2007 compatibility patch. I just see it for XP, and earlier OS.

I spent a lot of time building this presentation and need to execute it next
week. What is t he problem? What is the resolution?

From: Michael Koerner on
Did you put the folder onto the CD? Or did you copy all of the files into
the root directory of the CD?

--
Michael Koerner
MS MVP - PowerPoint

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <AA14388A-AC24-40BF-B0F8-16EB31666967(a)microsoft.com>, BarryM wrote:
> Followed your work around directions in packaging my PPT to a CD by first
> performing "Package to CD" to my hard drive and then burning the files to a
> CD using MS CD Burner accessories.
>
> Problem: The ptview application fails to run. Autorun will bring it up
> when first putting the CD into the drive but when clicked, it looks like the
> viewer starts up and then it stops executing.
>
> If I then open the CD folder from My computer and then click on the pptview,
> it does start up and asks me to select the presentation. If I do it this
> way, I encounter an error message stating "This file requires the
> Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System to view content". I am on 2007 and
> there is no 2007 compatibility patch. I just see it for XP, and earlier OS.

You're on 2007 but the viewer's not, and that's what's on the CD.

Try this:

After packaging for CD but before burning to CD, open your PPT 2007 file and do
a Save As; save it as PowerPoint 97-2003 format and save it to the folder where
you've packaged all the stuff for the CD.

You may also need to edit the AutoRun.inf file so it points to the .PPT file you
just created instead of the .PPTX you originally made.

Manually start the viewer and open the .PPT file to ensure that it works, then
try burning a CD again.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <#8i9WUj4KHA.5476(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Echo S wrote:
> "Steve Rindsberg" <abuse(a)localhost.com> wrote in message
> > In article <AA14388A-AC24-40BF-B0F8-16EB31666967(a)microsoft.com>, BarryM
> > wrote:
> >> Followed your work around directions in packaging my PPT to a CD by first
> >> performing "Package to CD" to my hard drive and then burning the files to
> >> CD using MS CD Burner accessories.
> >>
> >> Problem: The ptview application fails to run. Autorun will bring it up
> >> when first putting the CD into the drive but when clicked, it looks like
> >> the
> >> viewer starts up and then it stops executing.
> >>
> >> If I then open the CD folder from My computer and then click on the
> >> pptview,
> >> it does start up and asks me to select the presentation. If I do it this
> >> way, I encounter an error message stating "This file requires the
> >> Compatibility Pack for 2007 Office System to view content". I am on 2007
> >> and
> >> there is no 2007 compatibility patch. I just see it for XP, and earlier
> >> OS.
> >
> > You're on 2007 but the viewer's not, and that's what's on the CD.
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > After packaging for CD but before burning to CD, open your PPT 2007 file
> > and do
> > a Save As; save it as PowerPoint 97-2003 format and save it to the folder
> > where
> > you've packaged all the stuff for the CD.
> >
> > You may also need to edit the AutoRun.inf file so it points to the .PPT
> > file you
> > just created instead of the .PPTX you originally made.
> >
> > Manually start the viewer and open the .PPT file to ensure that it works,
> > then
> > try burning a CD again.
>
> 2007 Package for CD *should* "backsave" and create a PPT file if you choose
> to include the Viewer when you package. Something odd going on there if it
> doesn't.

Oddneth aboundeth. Indeed.