From: Roooooot on
Hello,

I installed a CUPS server few weeks ago to replace an old proprietary
print device (an HP print server)

CUPS is working very nicely, but I still have a problem...

I set up an HP Laserjet 3005 DN, and it is ok. We are able to print
from Windows with point and print after I installed the driver in samba
part of Linux...

Where I am in bad luck is when users goes to advanced printer
proprerties...

For exemple, if the printer in installed on a Windows print server, the
user is able to print few pages on one.

On the same printer, but accessing by CUPS, I do not have that
fuctionnality (Tabs are missing)

If I digg more, I see that there is few other functionnalities that are
unvailable through the CUPS server, but works fine by using the Win
print server.

I am using the same release of the driver, and same configuration of
the device (number of tray, paper size, etc...)

So, there is a solution to enable all functionnalities, or Windows have
some specials ways to talk to the printer ???

Best regards,

Olivier .:

From: Jan Gerrit Kootstra on
Roooooot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a CUPS server few weeks ago to replace an old proprietary
> print device (an HP print server)
>
> CUPS is working very nicely, but I still have a problem...
>
> I set up an HP Laserjet 3005 DN, and it is ok. We are able to print from
> Windows with point and print after I installed the driver in samba part
> of Linux...
>
> Where I am in bad luck is when users goes to advanced printer
> proprerties...
>
> For exemple, if the printer in installed on a Windows print server, the
> user is able to print few pages on one.
>
> On the same printer, but accessing by CUPS, I do not have that
> fuctionnality (Tabs are missing)
>
> If I digg more, I see that there is few other functionnalities that are
> unvailable through the CUPS server, but works fine by using the Win
> print server.
>
> I am using the same release of the driver, and same configuration of the
> device (number of tray, paper size, etc...)
>
> So, there is a solution to enable all functionnalities, or Windows have
> some specials ways to talk to the printer ???
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier .:

Dear Oliver,

Did you talk to the HP sales rep about this?

The driver comes from the HP lab, and HP's engineers are responsible for
the features that are put in the cups driver.

In the past it was always a crime to get all the features of a printer
in Linux or Unix drivers. Some hardware vendors did not deliver a driver
at all and you where forced to use an HP driver to get the standard
features.

Best regards,

Jan Gerrit

P.S. cannot reply to all groups, for some are not available through my
ISP's newsserver.
From: jrm.cohen on
On May 31, 2:39 pm, Roooooot <root(a)home> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a CUPS server few weeks ago to replace an old proprietary
> print device (an HP print server)
>
> CUPS is working very nicely, but I still have a problem...
>
> I set up an HP Laserjet 3005 DN, and it is ok. We are able to print
> from Windows with point and print after I installed the driver in samba
> part of Linux...
>
> Where I am in bad luck is when users goes to advanced printer
> proprerties...
>
> For exemple, if the printer in installed on a Windows print server, the
> user is able to print few pages on one.
>
> On the same printer, but accessing by CUPS, I do not have that
> fuctionnality (Tabs are missing)
>
> If I digg more, I see that there is few other functionnalities that are
> unvailable through the CUPS server, but works fine by using the Win
> print server.
>
> I am using the same release of the driver, and same configuration of
> the device (number of tray, paper size, etc...)
>
> So, there is a solution to enable all functionnalities, or Windows have
> some specials ways to talk to the printer ???
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier .:

I think it depends on the driver. HP has proprietary drivers on their
website for Linux, and through these you might be able to regain full
printer functionality through other operating systems. Otherwise,
you're out of luck :(

Search the CUPS website for more help - there's a huge community there
where people will be able to help you.

From: John Bowling on
Roooooot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed a CUPS server few weeks ago to replace an old proprietary
> print device (an HP print server)
>
> CUPS is working very nicely, but I still have a problem...
>
> I set up an HP Laserjet 3005 DN, and it is ok. We are able to print from
> Windows with point and print after I installed the driver in samba part
> of Linux...
>
> Where I am in bad luck is when users goes to advanced printer
> proprerties...
>
> For exemple, if the printer in installed on a Windows print server, the
> user is able to print few pages on one.
>
> On the same printer, but accessing by CUPS, I do not have that
> fuctionnality (Tabs are missing)
>
> If I digg more, I see that there is few other functionnalities that are
> unvailable through the CUPS server, but works fine by using the Win
> print server.
>
> I am using the same release of the driver, and same configuration of the
> device (number of tray, paper size, etc...)
>
> So, there is a solution to enable all functionnalities, or Windows have
> some specials ways to talk to the printer ???
>
> Best regards,
>
> Olivier .:

And, if all else fails in having the Linux machine serve the printers,
try a hardware print server. I have a Lantronics EPS2-100 that I got
through eBay. It's probably a 10 year old design and well used, but
still functions perfectly. It configures easily from most OSs, and lets
each user have their choice of how it's set up. I have a HP LaserJet 4P
and a HP LaserJet 5M both on it and their ppd's let me set toner
density, DPI, papersize, etc. as default on each computer. Going
through another computer to access the printer, regardless of which OS
it goes through, restricts you to that machine's default settings.

Now that I have used it, I won't give it up - so I bought 4 more as
spares a while back.

John