From: Warren Block on
"PXE Booting Utilities With FreeBSD" describes setting up a FreeBSD
server to PXE-boot floppy, CD, and memory stick utility images using
DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, and NFS.

Now available at
HTML: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/pxe.html
PDF: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/pdf/pxe.pdf

Feedback and corrections are welcome.

Thanks to Carl Chave, Jeremy Chadwick, Sam Fourman Jr., and Lowell
Gilbert for their comments and suggestions!

From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:52:00 +0000, Warren Block wrote:

> "PXE Booting Utilities With FreeBSD" describes setting up a FreeBSD
> server to PXE-boot floppy, CD, and memory stick utility images using
> DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, and NFS.
>
> Now available at
> HTML: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/pxe.html PDF:
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/pdf/pxe.pdf
>
> Feedback and corrections are welcome.
>
> Thanks to Carl Chave, Jeremy Chadwick, Sam Fourman Jr., and Lowell
> Gilbert for their comments and suggestions!

Thanks, Warren. That looks really useful.

--
Using UNIX since v6 (1976)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
From: Martin Johnson on
On 17/07/2010 00:52, Warren Block wrote:
> "PXE Booting Utilities With FreeBSD" describes setting up a FreeBSD
> server to PXE-boot floppy, CD, and memory stick utility images using
> DHCP, TFTP, HTTP, and NFS.
>
> Now available at
> HTML: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/pxe.html
> PDF: http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/pdf/pxe.pdf

Good stuff! If I get some time, I might build a VMware image for this.
It's useful to have such things around, particularly with a good choice
of LiveCD images to boot into.

One LiveCD image I like is Voyage Linux: http://linux.voyage.hk. You
can use it as a distro in its own right, but personally I find it useful
to PXE boot for remotely updating CF cards on Soekris embedded
computers. I guess SystemRescueCD should be able to accomplish the
same task, though.

Thanks!

- Martin
From: Warren Block on
Martin Johnson <notformail(a)example.com> wrote:

> One LiveCD image I like is Voyage Linux: http://linux.voyage.hk. You
> can use it as a distro in its own right, but personally I find it useful
> to PXE boot for remotely updating CF cards on Soekris embedded
> computers. I guess SystemRescueCD should be able to accomplish the
> same task, though.

Voyage should load using a variation on the Clonezilla entry (I think).
It almost works; boots and loads the initrd image fine, but then panics:

[ 9.625741] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

That's with "fetch=http://httphost/images/voyage/filesystem.squashfs".
Maybe it just needs some kernel options to create a ramdisk.