From: Mike Jones on

I've noticed some foks associating little icons with their names that
appear in Pan. Is there any way to pre-associate icons on the machine
itself?

I'm thinking about an html-ish kind of "use your own css" thing here, but
where one can pre-flag posters and subject according to one's own needs.

For example, if a subject has "Linux" in it, it gets my Linux icon...

???

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Tony Davison on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:35:56 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> I've noticed some foks associating little icons with their names that
> appear in Pan. Is there any way to pre-associate icons on the machine
> itself?
>
> I'm thinking about an html-ish kind of "use your own css" thing here,
> but where one can pre-flag posters and subject according to one's own
> needs.
>
> For example, if a subject has "Linux" in it, it gets my Linux icon...
>
> ???

Its an X-Face, look in the headers of such posts.
Then google for how to do it.
AFAIK there is no automagic to do what you want to do with it.
You could writs a script that parses the subject header of an incoming
post then inserts a relevant x-face to the headers.
Thats does seem like a lot of work though for not much result, which is
probably why no-ones done it.

--
BigTone
From: Auric__ on
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:35:56 GMT, Mike Jones wrote:

> I've noticed some foks associating little icons with their names that
> appear in Pan. Is there any way to pre-associate icons on the machine
> itself?
>
> I'm thinking about an html-ish kind of "use your own css" thing here, but
> where one can pre-flag posters and subject according to one's own needs.
>
> For example, if a subject has "Linux" in it, it gets my Linux icon...
>
> ???

(Just to add a bit to what Mr. Davison said.) Wikipedia's X-Face page goes a
bit into detail, along with the usual relevant links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Face

--
- That part where you got tense and screamed. I didn't hurt you, did I?
- Not *hardly*.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Tony Davison:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:35:56 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> I've noticed some foks associating little icons with their names that
>> appear in Pan. Is there any way to pre-associate icons on the machine
>> itself?
>>
>> I'm thinking about an html-ish kind of "use your own css" thing here,
>> but where one can pre-flag posters and subject according to one's own
>> needs.
>>
>> For example, if a subject has "Linux" in it, it gets my Linux icon...
>>
>> ???
>
> Its an X-Face, look in the headers of such posts. Then google for how to
> do it.
> AFAIK there is no automagic to do what you want to do with it. You could
> writs a script that parses the subject header of an incoming post then
> inserts a relevant x-face to the headers. Thats does seem like a lot of
> work though for not much result, which is probably why no-ones done it.

I suspect you're right. Ah well.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Auric__:

> On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:35:56 GMT, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> I've noticed some foks associating little icons with their names that
>> appear in Pan. Is there any way to pre-associate icons on the machine
>> itself?
>>
>> I'm thinking about an html-ish kind of "use your own css" thing here,
>> but where one can pre-flag posters and subject according to one's own
>> needs.
>>
>> For example, if a subject has "Linux" in it, it gets my Linux icon...
>>
>> ???
>
> (Just to add a bit to what Mr. Davison said.) Wikipedia's X-Face page
> goes a bit into detail, along with the usual relevant links:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Face

Worth a read through, but I suspect Mr Davidson is on the ball regarding
if its worth the effort. Cheers.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.