From: Rich on
Panasonic, a company that has done nearly no wrong, who have basically made
mirrorless cameras acceptable (thanks to the fastest contrast focus speed
going) and who stuck to a decent level of construction for their cameras
have dropped the ball. They shifted production of their cameras to China,
cheapened the product (G2), cheapened and made WORSE the lens (14-45mm
Japanese kit lens morphs into a crappy Chinese 14-42mm with worse optics
and a plastic lens mount)and all they added did was add consumer-friendly
video to the product. On top of that, they made no improvements in
processing or sensor in over 2 years.
From: Bruce on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:54:04 -0500, Rich <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>Panasonic, a company that has done nearly no wrong, who have basically made
>mirrorless cameras acceptable (thanks to the fastest contrast focus speed
>going) and who stuck to a decent level of construction for their cameras
>have dropped the ball. They shifted production of their cameras to China,
>cheapened the product (G2), cheapened and made WORSE the lens (14-45mm
>Japanese kit lens morphs into a crappy Chinese 14-42mm with worse optics
>and a plastic lens mount)and all they added did was add consumer-friendly
>video to the product. On top of that, they made no improvements in
>processing or sensor in over 2 years.

Shouldn't that be "raspberry"?

Otherwise, just the usual pointless whining rant. What is it with you
Canadians that you just cannot stop whining, eh?

From: RichA on
On Jul 13, 8:17 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:54:04 -0500, Rich <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> >Panasonic, a company that has done nearly no wrong, who have basically made
> >mirrorless cameras acceptable (thanks to the fastest contrast focus speed
> >going) and who stuck to a decent level of construction for their cameras
> >have dropped the ball. They shifted production of their cameras to China,
> >cheapened the product (G2), cheapened and made WORSE the lens (14-45mm
> >Japanese kit lens morphs into a crappy Chinese 14-42mm with worse optics
> >and a plastic lens mount)and all they added did was add consumer-friendly
> >video to the product.  On top of that, they made no improvements in
> >processing or sensor in over 2 years.
>
> Shouldn't that be "raspberry"?
>
> Otherwise, just the usual pointless whining rant.  What is it with you
> Canadians that you just cannot stop whining, eh?

What is it with Americans that they constantly demand cost-cutting and
cheapness, even if it harms quality?
From: Bruce on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:31:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 13, 8:17�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:54:04 -0500, Rich <n...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> >Panasonic, a company that has done nearly no wrong, who have basically made
>> >mirrorless cameras acceptable (thanks to the fastest contrast focus speed
>> >going) and who stuck to a decent level of construction for their cameras
>> >have dropped the ball. They shifted production of their cameras to China,
>> >cheapened the product (G2), cheapened and made WORSE the lens (14-45mm
>> >Japanese kit lens morphs into a crappy Chinese 14-42mm with worse optics
>> >and a plastic lens mount)and all they added did was add consumer-friendly
>> >video to the product. �On top of that, they made no improvements in
>> >processing or sensor in over 2 years. �
>>
>> Shouldn't that be "raspberry"?
>>
>> Otherwise, just the usual pointless whining rant. �What is it with you
>> Canadians that you just cannot stop whining, eh?
>
>What is it with Americans that they constantly demand cost-cutting and
>cheapness, even if it harms quality?

Being neither Canadian nor American, I cannot give you a definitive
answer. But what is certain is that these are consumer-grade cameras
that sell to consumers, not to professional or hobbyist photographers,
except as a second camera. In that market. affordability (for the
buyer) and profitability (for the manufacturer and the supply chain)
are far more important than ultimate quality.

So expect to see more cameras made in China, more lenses with a
plastic mount, and more success for companies who make and sell
products that millions of people (and not just Americans) can afford
to buy.

From: John McWilliams on
Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 05:31:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> Bruce opined:

>>> Otherwise, just the usual pointless whining rant. What is it with you
>>> Canadians that you just cannot stop whining, eh?

>> What is it with Americans that they constantly demand cost-cutting and
>> cheapness, even if it harms quality?
>

> Being neither Canadian nor American, I cannot give you a definitive
> answer. But what is certain is that these are consumer-grade cameras
> that sell to consumers, not to professional or hobbyist photographers,
> except as a second camera. In that market. affordability (for the
> buyer) and profitability (for the manufacturer and the supply chain)
> are far more important than ultimate quality.
>
> So expect to see more cameras made in China, more lenses with a
> plastic mount, and more success for companies who make and sell
> products that millions of people (and not just Americans) can afford
> to buy.

It'd be swell if derogatory comments could be saved for Serbs or
Ghanans, there being none on these NGs I've seen. There are enough twits
in the US, GB, Aus, Canada, France and Scandanavia, etc. that one can
make any derogatory point about any nation. It's uncouth so to do.
Pointless, to boot.

--
john mcwilliams