From: Fred Heida Fred on
Hi,

I have a USB Panic Button device.. but how i can now from my program
interact with this device? i.e how or what do i need to register for to get
notified when the 'button' gets pressed??

any help appriciated!

Regards,
Fred

From: Gregory A. Beamer on
=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZCBIZWlkYQ==?= <Fred Heida(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:3731A960-48FF-4E7B-B3B8-F0CA1EA4CF80(a)microsoft.com:

> Hi,
>
> I have a USB Panic Button device.. but how i can now from my program
> interact with this device? i.e how or what do i need to register for
> to get notified when the 'button' gets pressed??
>
> any help appriciated!

In general, you need to discover if the device is hooked up before you
can handle input from the device. Worst case here is checking the
registry.

Assuming you have already conquered the above, you need to know what the
device actually sends to the computer. This should be found in the
manual that comes with the device.

Most likely, you are either a) waiting for an event to happen (and the
device most likely has a driver that raises the event) or b) you are
listening for input on a specific port (serial port emulation, most
likely).

In each of these cases, the Panic Button manufacturer should be able to
guide you to how the button works. If you can find this information and
post it, someone can tell you what to do in .NET. If not, we are all
just shooting fish in the dark.

peace and grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer