From: dan_waldo on
Thanks for this suggestion ... I changed the second-level style to "list
paragraph" (couldn't find "list number") and this works.

Now, a followup question, if you don't mind -- the multilevel list I create
travels with its document, but I cannot seem to save it for use in other
documents as well. I'm sure that I am simply not querying the help files with
the right words ... can you steer me in the right direction?

From: Suzanne S. Barnhill on
You need to select the style in the Styles pane, right-click, choose Modify,
and select the radio button for "New documents based on this template."

From: dan_waldo on
I am very excited, as I seem to be making progress -- if one equates motion
and progress :)

I followed your suggestion ... a number of times, before I saw where these
user-defined lists show up to be invoked. Now I have several redundant styles
in the "List Library" pane, and no apparent way to delete them. I am betting
that there is an "intuitively obvious" way to do this, but my intuition
regarding Word is suspect of late. Can you help?

Thanks for your patience!

p.s. I notice that the box to "Notify me of replies" appears to be cosmetic
rather than functional .. at least when using Firefox as the browser.

From: Stefan Blom on
You can right-click a list format under "List Library" at Home tab | Multilevel
List and choose Remove from List Library on the context menu.

To restore the built-in formats, you can quit Word and then delete the
ListGal.dat file in your user profile.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

From: dan_waldo on
Thanks for the suggestion, Stefan. Unfortunately, the items I want to delete
I find under "list styles" rather than "list library" and when I right-click
on those puppies my only option is "modify."

If it takes the eradication of listgal.dat to fix this, I'm up for it ...
but I have to think there's a less drastic solution!