From: SC Tom on

"daviddschool" <daviddschool(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>> How long of a Parallel cable do you need? They have ones 10 -15 feet
>> ones, probably cheap on eBay. Another possibility is a IEEE-1284
>> printer server.
>>
>> - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]- Hide quoted text -
>
> No the cable from the MOBO to the slot in the back is too short - the
> internals.

What cable from the MB to the slot? If it's a PCI parallel port card, then
the printer cable hooks up to the outside of the case. Do you know the
make/model number of the PCI card? Also, what make/model is the MB?
--
SC Tom

From: daviddschool on

> > No the cable from the MOBO to the slot in the back is too short - the
> > internals.
>
> What cable from the MB to the slot? If it's a PCI parallel port card, then
> the printer cable hooks up to the outside of the case. Do you know the
> make/model number of the PCI card? Also, what make/model is the MB?
> --
> SC Tom

Sorry, it isn't a PCI card, just a parallel port adapter - I was using
the wrong term:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/DB25F-PARALLEL-ADD-A-PORT-ADAPTER-/5832253846?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item15ba12196

It looks like this.
From: SC Tom on

>> > No the cable from the MOBO to the slot in the back is too short - the
>> > internals.
>>
>> What cable from the MB to the slot? If it's a PCI parallel port card,
>> then
>> the printer cable hooks up to the outside of the case. Do you know the
>> make/model number of the PCI card? Also, what make/model is the MB?
>> --
>> SC Tom
>
> Sorry, it isn't a PCI card, just a parallel port adapter - I was using
> the wrong term:
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/DB25F-PARALLEL-ADD-A-PORT-ADAPTER-/5832253846?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item15ba12196
>
> It looks like this.

Ah, now I see. I'm sure there must be longer ones available somewhere. You
might try Newark or McMaster-Carr. They carry that sort of thing.
I'm surprised your MB kit didn't include one.
--
SC Tom

From: Paul on
daviddschool wrote:
>>> No the cable from the MOBO to the slot in the back is too short - the
>>> internals.
>> What cable from the MB to the slot? If it's a PCI parallel port card, then
>> the printer cable hooks up to the outside of the case. Do you know the
>> make/model number of the PCI card? Also, what make/model is the MB?
>> --
>> SC Tom
>
> Sorry, it isn't a PCI card, just a parallel port adapter - I was using
> the wrong term:
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/DB25F-PARALLEL-ADD-A-PORT-ADAPTER-/5832253846?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item15ba12196
>
> It looks like this.

Maybe you could:

1) Undo the screws which fasten the DB25F to the plate.
2) Connect the ribbon cable to the motherboard.
3) Route the printer cable through a slot hole in the
PCI area, so the printer cable is now *inside* the computer.
4) Plug the printer cable into the DB25F.
5) Wrap the connector area in an insulator, so it doesn't
come in contact with other circuitry. (A little bubble wrap and
tape perhaps.)
6) If you have enough external printer cable length, you
could take a nylon cable wrap, to secure the cable to
give the cable some protection against being pulled free.

HTH,
Paul