Prev: Logout
Next: xvidcap
From: Van Chocstraw on
I have linux partitions on hda and hdb.
When I'm booted on hda and run partition manager I cannot delete
partitions on hdb and get an error. I can edit, set mount points and
format but can't delete. I tried a live Suse CD also and same error.
cannot delete partitions on hdb. What's wrong with parted?
From: DenverD on
Van Chocstraw wrote:
> I have linux partitions on hda and hdb.
> When I'm booted on hda and run partition manager I cannot delete
> partitions on hdb and get an error. I can edit, set mount points and
> format but can't delete. I tried a live Suse CD also and same error.
> cannot delete partitions on hdb. What's wrong with parted?

probably nothing but it is really had to guess with so little info to
go on...

is hdb mounted?
is the partition in use?
what error are you getting, exactly?
has hdb been throwing errors?
have you been having 'trouble with it'?
is hdb in a usb housing, or connected direct to the motherboard?
what SUSE are you using?
do you have any other operating system in use?

show us the output of somethings....like:

df --print-type
df -h
cat /etc/fstab
cat /mtab

then we have a lot less guessing to do..
and friend, have a read here before you reply: http://is.gd/2BfI3

--
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (20090817),
KDE 3.5.7 "release 72-11", openSUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.19-0.4-default
#1 SMP i686 athlon
From: JT on
On 07/02/10 18:04, Van Chocstraw wrote:
> I have linux partitions on hda and hdb.
> When I'm booted on hda and run partition manager I cannot delete
> partitions on hdb and get an error. I can edit, set mount points and
> format but can't delete. I tried a live Suse CD also and same error.
> cannot delete partitions on hdb. What's wrong with parted?
Indeed, as another replier posted, little to go on. But here's my
advice: use cfdisk instead of parted. I read about parted that there are
some issues (with big disks mainly). I've had no problems with
partitioning ever and always use cfdisk. Maybe (to answer your question)
parted is what's wrong with parted ? :)

--
Kind regards, JT

From: Van Chocstraw on

From: Van Chocstraw on
On 02/07/2010 01:04 PM, DenverD wrote:
> Van Chocstraw wrote:
>> I have linux partitions on hda and hdb.
>> When I'm booted on hda and run partition manager I cannot delete
>> partitions on hdb and get an error. I can edit, set mount points and
>> format but can't delete. I tried a live Suse CD also and same error.
>> cannot delete partitions on hdb. What's wrong with parted?
>
> probably nothing but it is really had to guess with so little info to
> go on...
>
> is hdb mounted?
> is the partition in use?
> what error are you getting, exactly?
> has hdb been throwing errors?
> have you been having 'trouble with it'?
> is hdb in a usb housing, or connected direct to the motherboard?
> what SUSE are you using?
> do you have any other operating system in use?
>
> show us the output of somethings....like:
>
> df --print-type
> df -h
> cat /etc/fstab
> cat /mtab

Filesystem Type 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 ext4 20641788 5685532 13907616 30% /
udev tmpfs 1165804 588 1165216 1% /dev
/dev/sda3 ext4 173300380 43155244 121341920 27% /home

/dev/sda2 20G 5.5G 14G 30% /
udev 1.2G 588K 1.2G 1% /dev
/dev/sda3 166G 42G 116G 27% /home

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6B200P0_B41ARKZH-part2 /
ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6B200P0_B41ARKZH-part1 swap
swap defaults 0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6B200P0_B41ARKZH-part3 /home
ext4 acl,user_xattr 1 2
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto
0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs noauto
0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
0 0

/dev/sda2 / ext4 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
udev /dev tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/sda3 /home ext4 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
fusectl /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
none /proc/fs/vmblock/mountPoint vmblock rw 0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/dbdblocker/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,user=xxxxxxxxxx 0 0
rpc_pipefs /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0

So what do you see? hdb is not mounted.
parted sees hdb just fine.

Here is the message:
The partitioning on disk /dev/sdb is not readable by
the partitioning tool parted, which is used to change the
partition table.

You can use the partitions on disk /dev/sdb as they are.
You can format them and assign mount points to them, but you
cannot add, edit, resize, or remove partitions from that
disk with this tool.

Again, what's wrong with the tool?

> then we have a lot less guessing to do..
> and friend, have a read here before you reply: http://is.gd/2BfI3
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Logout