From: eric gisse on
Jerry wrote:

> On Aug 8, 10:45 pm, "Robert L. Oldershaw" <rlolders...(a)amherst.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Using "a" values of 4/9, 4/9, 6/19, 7/12, 5/18, 2/9, 3/8, 5/16,
>> respectively,
>>
>> I get the retrodicted MeV values of 942, 942, 1117.5, 1229.5, 1191.5,
>> 1332.1, 1533.4 and 1679.8, respectively.
>>
>> The average agreement between the 8 theoretical and empirical masses
>> is <99.67%>.
>>
>> I know, I know, the "a" values look like "fudge factors".
>
> "Look like"? They -ARE- fudge factors.
>
> I recommend that you learn the Euclidean algorithm and
> ponder the implications of Hurwitz' Theorem.
>
> At the very least, the Euclidean algorithm will reduce the
> amount of work you expend on generating new fudge factors.
>
> Jerry

Did you see his blithering stupidities about how the 'relative percentage
difference' is a more accurate representation of error than the standard
deviation?

From: Jerry on
On Aug 10, 8:40 pm, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you see his blithering stupidities about how the 'relative percentage
> difference' is a more accurate representation of error than the standard
> deviation?

Yep.
Of course, I've just done a BAD THING.
Once Robert understands the Euclidean algorithm, he should get
much "improved" fits... :-)

Jerry

From: eric gisse on
Jerry wrote:

> On Aug 10, 8:40 pm, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Did you see his blithering stupidities about how the 'relative percentage
>> difference' is a more accurate representation of error than the standard
>> deviation?
>
> Yep.
> Of course, I've just done a BAD THING.
> Once Robert understands the Euclidean algorithm, he should get
> much "improved" fits... :-)
>
> Jerry

Its' like educating Henry Wilson on the finer points of relativity. Its' a
good exercise for you, but lost upon him.

Robert's misunderstandings lie far elsewhere. But showing him up and giving
him a better 'fit' just might put him in his place. It doesn't matter
though, I'm far bored with him and his endless babble about dogs so he's in
the killfile everywhere except sci.physics.research.

Curiously enough, 70% of the traffic to the public groups is now filtered by
my killfile.
From: Robert L. Oldershaw on
On Aug 11, 11:43 pm, eric gisse <jowr.pi.nos...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Woofy, is it true that you are Leg-Lifter-In-Chief for the Confederacy
of Dunces?