From: Jon Solberg on
On 2010-03-23, Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of a tool that can read a raw disk drive, scan for
> valid partition headers, and suggest what the original partitioning
> might have been before a disk was corrupted?

Check out testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). It has
saved me a couple of times.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam." from email address)
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:24:09 -0400, Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a tool that can read a raw disk drive, scan for
> valid partition headers, and suggest what the original partitioning
> might have been before a disk was corrupted?

gpart

See http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/LILO-crash-rescue-HOWTO.html#disk_partition_rescue

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: Allodoxaphobia on
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:47:41 +0000 (UTC), Jon Solberg wrote:
> On 2010-03-23, Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a tool that can read a raw disk drive, scan for
>> valid partition headers, and suggest what the original partitioning
>> might have been before a disk was corrupted?
>
> Check out testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). It has
> saved me a couple of times.

Oh, YES!! Saved my @$$ when I was working too late, too tired and
overwrote the partion table on hda with the partition table from hdb.
After I put on a clean pair of undershorts and found recomendations
about `testdisk`, I was able to boot from a Knoppix LIVE CD and
resurrect my Western Digital Brick. Did not lose a thing!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
From: Jon Solberg on
On 2010-03-24, Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jon Solberg wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger <dfreybur(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of a tool that can read a raw disk drive, scan for
>>> valid partition headers, and suggest what the original partitioning
>>> might have been before a disk was corrupted?
>>
>> Check out testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). It has
>> saved me a couple of times.
>
> Thanks everyone for pointers to testdisk and gpart! More tools in my

No worries. Glad if it helps you.

--
Jon Solberg (remove "nospam." from email address)