From: JB on

--
JB

"Andy O'Neill" wrote:

> "JB" <JB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Community
> >
> > In a C# and ASP.NET app I embed a Crystal Report. In the Crystal Report I
> > create a parameter field named id. Then I read one id from a table and I
> > pass the id from the table to Crystal Report where Crystal Report
> > creates
> > the report successfully.
> >
> > The problem is that now I am reading atleast 5 id's each containing a
> > different value from the table and I want Crystal Report to create a
> > report
> > for each one of the id's such that the user can use the carat and scroll
> > thru all of the reports from the first one to the last.
> >
> > Crystal Reports creates reports like that by default if it reads the whole
> > table without passing a parameter but the question is how can I get
> > Crystal
> > Report to create the reports like that when I pass 5 id's each
> > containing a
> > different value (if its possible)?
>
> With Crystal, my preferred method is to read data into a datatable and
> substitute this for the crystal report's datasource at run time.
> That way I can do whatever I like with the data without having to worry
> about the various foibles of crystal.
> So I'd have some way of selecting my data into that datatable that allowed 1
> or more id and hand that to crystal.
>
> .

Hello Andy

I am thinking about creating a Dataset but your idea of a Datatable is
just as good.

How does Crystal Report access your Datatable and it's fields?
From: Andy O'Neill on

"JB" <JB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
<<>>
> I am thinking about creating a Dataset but your idea of a Datatable is
> just as good.
>
> How does Crystal Report access your Datatable and it's fields?

A datatable is somewhat lighter weight.

You can build your initial report against one thing and then switch the
source at run time.
If the datasource is complex I temporarilly change my select to create a
table, design against that and then drop the table.