From: JB on
Hello Community

I am passing parameters SQL Server from an C# ASP.NET app. When
creating the query I have need to use an “or” operator after the Where clause
when comparing values. Does anyone know the syntax for this type of thing?

Below is the code:

public DataSet getCustomer(string Addr, int PhoneNo)
{

string strSQL = " select distinct a.firstname + ' ' +
a.lastname as Name";

strSQL += " from table1 a Join Table2 b ";

strSQL += " on a.id = b.id ";

strSQL += " WHERE a.Addr = " + Addr;

strSQL += " AND (b.PhoneNo = + PhoneNo OR b.PhoneNo <>
PhoneNo);

strSQL += " order by a.lastname, a.firstname ";

}

If I only wanted to check whether the PhoneNo was equal the following code
works:

strSQL += " AND c.PhoneNo = " + PhoneNo;

But I want to get a result returned whether the PhoneNo is equal or the
PhoneNo is not
That means the question is:

When passing variable and comparing values what is the syntax for the “or”
operator within the Where clause and are the parenthesis necessary?

Thanks
Jeff

--
JB
From: Andy O'Neill on

"JB" <JB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Community
>
> I am passing parameters SQL Server from an C# ASP.NET app.
> When
> creating the query I have need to use an “or” operator after the Where
> clause
> when comparing values. Does anyone know the syntax for this type of
> thing?
>
> Below is the code:
>
> public DataSet getCustomer(string Addr, int PhoneNo)
> {
>
> string strSQL = " select distinct a.firstname + ' ' +
> a.lastname as Name";
>
> strSQL += " from table1 a Join Table2 b ";
>
> strSQL += " on a.id = b.id ";
>
> strSQL += " WHERE a.Addr = " + Addr;
>
> strSQL += " AND (b.PhoneNo = + PhoneNo OR b.PhoneNo <>
> PhoneNo);
>

> strSQL += " order by a.lastname, a.firstname ";
>
> }
>

> If I only wanted to check whether the PhoneNo was equal the following code
> works:
>
> strSQL += " AND c.PhoneNo = " + PhoneNo;
>
> But I want to get a result returned whether the PhoneNo is equal or the
> PhoneNo is not
> That means the question is:
>
> When passing variable and comparing values what is the syntax for the “or”
> operator within the Where clause and are the parenthesis necessary?
>
> Thanks
> Jeff
>
> --
> JB

You use or and you might need brackets to group the two alternative
conditions.

From: Harlan Messinger on
Andy O'Neill wrote:

> "JB" <JB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Community
>>
>> I am passing parameters SQL Server from an C# ASP.NET app.
>> When
>> creating the query I have need to use an “or” operator after the Where
>> clause
>> when comparing values. Does anyone know the syntax for this type of
>> thing?
>>
>> Below is the code:
>>
>> public DataSet getCustomer(string Addr, int PhoneNo)
>> {
>>
>> string strSQL = " select distinct a.firstname + ' ' +
>> a.lastname as Name";
>>
>> strSQL += " from table1 a Join Table2 b ";
>>
>> strSQL += " on a.id = b.id ";
>>
>> strSQL += " WHERE a.Addr = " + Addr;
>>
>> strSQL += " AND (b.PhoneNo = + PhoneNo OR b.PhoneNo <>
>> PhoneNo);
>>

>> strSQL += " order by a.lastname, a.firstname ";
>>
>> }
>>

>> If I only wanted to check whether the PhoneNo was equal the following
>> code
>> works:
>>
>> strSQL += " AND c.PhoneNo = " + PhoneNo;
>>
>> But I want to get a result returned whether the PhoneNo is equal or the
>> PhoneNo is not
>> That means the question is:
>>
>> When passing variable and comparing values what is the syntax for the
>> “or”
>> operator within the Where clause and are the parenthesis necessary?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jeff
>>
>> --
>> JB
>
> You use or and you might need brackets to group the two alternative
> conditions.

Please don't confuse my fellow American. To us, "brackets" = "square
brackets". We group with "parentheses".