From: M P on
Hi!

Im planning to encrypt the password that was stored on msaccess database and
also the text inputed from a password textbox. Also, if I want to get the
password from the database, I need to decrypt it so it can be comparable to
the one that is inputed on the textbox. Is there a way on how to handle
this?

MP

From: Evertjan. on
M P wrote on 14 okt 2005 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

> Also, if I want to get the
> password from the database, I need to decrypt it

Not the only way.
You also could,
if the encription proces is unique [=gives always the same result],
compare both encripted forms.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

From: Gottfried Mayer on
M P wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Im planning to encrypt the password that was stored on msaccess database and
> also the text inputed from a password textbox. Also, if I want to get the
> password from the database, I need to decrypt it so it can be comparable to
> the one that is inputed on the textbox. Is there a way on how to handle
> this?
>
> MP

Hi M P,

To store passwords, the one-way or "hash" algorhythms will be the most
useful to use:
As the name says, this is a one-way procedure, for example:

Password: mysecretpass
Hash (example): 28F9E2A118B3 <== Store this in DB

User inputs: mysecretpass
Calculate Hash: 28F9E2A118B3
Compare this to value stored in DB.

There are several different hash algorhythms around, the most commonly
used is called MD5:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2397

The first example on this page is a implementation in JavaScript, this
ensures that the password is encrypted on the client computer and
submitted in the encrypted form.

HTH
Gottfried
From: M P on
Hi!

Thanks for the reply. My question is how do I handle this MD5 algorithm? For
example, I have a login page, how do I use the javascript?

regards,
Me

From: Roland Hall on
"M P" wrote in message news:%23AcaaUE1FHA.904(a)tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: Thanks for the reply. My question is how do I handle this MD5 algorithm?
For
: example, I have a login page, how do I use the javascript?

Please respond after responses, not before them.

You don't use javascript to do this. You do it on the server-side. If you
need a MD5 function already written to work in ASP, then go here:
http://www.frez.co.uk/freecode.htm#md5

The function is md5. I call it with:
eStr = md5(str)

I put it in it's own file and I include it into any page I need. A starter
example...

<%@ Langauge = "VBScript" %>
<%
Option Explicit
Response.Buffer = True
%>
<!--#include virtual="/asp/nocache.asp"-->
<!--#include virtual="/asp/md5.asp"-->
<%
dim username, password, ePassword, method
method = Request.ServerVariables("REQUEST_METHOD")
if method = "POST" then ' form has been posted
username = Server.HTMLEncode(Replace(Request.Form("username"),"'","''"))
password = Server.HTMLEncode(Replace(Request.Form("password"),"'","''"))
' form validation
' get password from database if username exists
ePassword = md5(password)
if ePassword = cPassword then
' write to log
' validate logon