From: ~misfit~ on
I have a friend who is the IT guy for a company. Recently he was tasked with
disposing of several EOL (for them) laptops and company policy for them is
to remove and destroy (big hammer...) the HDDs and then pass on the rest of
the machine to the IT reseller company which they always deal with.

I couldn't bear to see / hear about good HDDs being smashed so I gave him my
word (which is indeed my bond, he's known me long enough to know that's
true) that the data wouldn't be accessed at all, just wiped. So I became the
proud owner of five second-hand Toshiba 120GB 5400rpm SATA HDDs. (Model
MK1252GSX)

However, when I dropped them in a SATA-USB dock and went to run my HDD
scrubbing
/ over-writing software I got a message that the HDD was password protected.
They all are. (I get a similar message when I put them in my ThinkPad HDD
ultrabay only from the ThinkPad BIOS.) I've Googled but have so far been
unable to resolve the issue. It seems that I may have to destroy them after
all. That goes against everything that I believe in. :-(

Can anybody help me in my quest to keep perfectly good HDDs out of the
landfill and do my bit for reducing needless waste?

TYVMIA,
--
Shaun.

"When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.

From: ShadowTek on
On 2010-07-01, ~misfit~ <sore_n_happy(a)nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:

> However, when I dropped them in a SATA-USB dock and went to run my HDD
> scrubbing
> / over-writing software I got a message that the HDD was password protected.

Are you simply trying to overwrite the files on the filesystem?

If the filesystem is encrypted, all you can do is reformat the disk.
From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs ShadowTek wrote:
> On 2010-07-01, ~misfit~ <sore_n_happy(a)nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> However, when I dropped them in a SATA-USB dock and went to run my
>> HDD scrubbing
>> / over-writing software I got a message that the HDD was password
>> protected.
>
> Are you simply trying to overwrite the files on the filesystem?
>
> If the filesystem is encrypted, all you can do is reformat the disk.

No, the lock-out is seemingly in the HDDs firmware, I can't even access them
to reformat them.

From: Grinder on
On 7/1/2010 12:10 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ShadowTek wrote:
>> On 2010-07-01, ~misfit~<sore_n_happy(a)nospamyahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> However, when I dropped them in a SATA-USB dock and went to run my
>>> HDD scrubbing
>>> / over-writing software I got a message that the HDD was password
>>> protected.
>>
>> Are you simply trying to overwrite the files on the filesystem?
>>
>> If the filesystem is encrypted, all you can do is reformat the disk.
>
> No, the lock-out is seemingly in the HDDs firmware, I can't even access them
> to reformat them.

I've run into this situation a few times in xbox (original) modding
forums, as that console would hardware lock the drive based upon a
password encoded in a chip on the motherboard. In the half-dozen
resolutions I participated in, we were able to retrieve the hd key from
the xbox, or use a known password from the process that had last modded
the system.

However, there were two claims as to how to unlock a drive where you
truly did not know the password:

1) Flash the firmware. Apparently, on some HDs, flashing the firmware
would also wipe out the existing key. I have not personally confirmed
that this has ever worked.

2) Use a backdoor password from the manufacturer. Some manufacturers
apparently realized the inherent fatality in lost passwords, and wrote
in one that would always be recognized. I have not personally confirms
that this has ever worked.

Good luck to you, and please report your finding as this is something
where my interest far exceeds my education.

From: ~misfit~ on
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Grinder wrote:
> On 7/1/2010 12:10 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ShadowTek wrote:

>>> Are you simply trying to overwrite the files on the filesystem?
>>>
>>> If the filesystem is encrypted, all you can do is reformat the disk.
>>
>> No, the lock-out is seemingly in the HDDs firmware, I can't even
>> access them to reformat them.
>
> I've run into this situation a few times in xbox (original) modding
> forums, as that console would hardware lock the drive based upon a
> password encoded in a chip on the motherboard. In the half-dozen
> resolutions I participated in, we were able to retrieve the hd key
> from the xbox, or use a known password from the process that had last
> modded the system.
>
> However, there were two claims as to how to unlock a drive where you
> truly did not know the password:
>
> 1) Flash the firmware. Apparently, on some HDs, flashing the firmware
> would also wipe out the existing key. I have not personally confirmed
> that this has ever worked.
>
> 2) Use a backdoor password from the manufacturer. Some manufacturers
> apparently realized the inherent fatality in lost passwords, and wrote
> in one that would always be recognized. I have not personally
> confirms that this has ever worked.
>
> Good luck to you, and please report your finding as this is something
> where my interest far exceeds my education.

Ok, thanks for the input. As mentioned extensive Google searches haven't
come up with anything yet but my Google-fu isn't as good as it could be.
I'll be sure to post if I find a fix.
--
Cheers,