From: Chuck on
What is the difference between CPU, PSU, PSE, and MLR? I see all of
these terms in the MOS (My Oracle Support) patching recommendations but
no explanations.

I know what a PSU and CPU are. CPU="Critical Patch Update" and it
includes only security related patches. PSU="Patch Set Update" and it
includes the most recent CPU plus additional non-security bug fixes.

What are PSE's and MLR's though and how do I know if I really need them?

Also I thought Oracle said once you start applying PSU's to an oracle
home you should not revert back to CPU's, however in my OMS home I've
applied PSU's, yet the patch recommendations both in Grid Control and
MOS are recommending the latest CPU. Do I have it backwards? Is it ok to
go from PSU to CPU but not CPU to PSU?
From: Mark D Powell on
On Apr 28, 10:52 am, Chuck <chuckh1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between CPU, PSU, PSE, and MLR? I see all of
> these terms in the MOS (My Oracle Support) patching recommendations but
> no explanations.
>
> I know what a PSU and CPU are.  CPU="Critical Patch Update" and it
> includes only security related patches. PSU="Patch Set Update" and it
> includes the most recent CPU  plus additional non-security bug fixes.
>
> What are PSE's and MLR's though and how do I know if I really need them?
>
> Also I thought Oracle said once you start applying PSU's to an oracle
> home you should not revert back to CPU's, however in my OMS home I've
> applied PSU's, yet the patch recommendations both in Grid Control and
> MOS are recommending the latest CPU. Do I have it backwards? Is it ok to
> go from PSU to CPU but not CPU to PSU?

PSU => Patch Set Update apprears to be specific bug fixes

PSE => Patch Set Exception
"Oracle provides patch sets that include generic and port specific
fixes encountered by customers since the base product was released"
and "The patch set exception bundles also include the fixes for the
CPU (Critical Patch Update), DST (Daylight Saving Time), PSU (Patch
Set Update) and Recommended Patch Bundles"

Ref: Oracle Database Server and Networking Patches for Microsoft
Platforms #161549.1

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
From: John Hurley on
Mark:

> > I know what a PSU and CPU are.  CPU="Critical Patch Update" and it
> > includes only security related patches. PSU="Patch Set Update" and it
> > includes the most recent CPU  plus additional non-security bug fixes.
>
> > What are PSE's and MLR's though and how do I know if I really need them?
>
> > Also I thought Oracle said once you start applying PSU's to an oracle
> > home you should not revert back to CPU's, however in my OMS home I've
> > applied PSU's, yet the patch recommendations both in Grid Control and
> > MOS are recommending the latest CPU. Do I have it backwards? Is it ok to
> > go from PSU to CPU but not CPU to PSU?
>
> PSU => Patch Set Update  apprears to be specific bug fixes
>
> PSE => Patch Set Exception
> "Oracle provides patch sets that include generic and port specific
> fixes encountered by customers since the base product was released"
> and "The patch set exception bundles also include the fixes for the
> CPU (Critical Patch Update), DST (Daylight Saving Time), PSU (Patch
> Set Update) and Recommended Patch Bundles"
>
> Ref: Oracle Database Server and Networking Patches for Microsoft
> Platforms #161549.1
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

An alternate explanation for PSU's might be to say since Oracle
support got really behind in delivering Patch Sets on a timely basis
they came up with something else to keep you updated between Patch
Sets.

They claim they are well tested.
From: The Boss on
On Apr 28, 4:52 pm, Chuck <chuckh1...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the difference between CPU, PSU, PSE, and MLR? I see all of
> these terms in the MOS (My Oracle Support) patching recommendations but
> no explanations.
>
> I know what a PSU and CPU are.  CPU="Critical Patch Update" and it
> includes only security related patches. PSU="Patch Set Update" and it
> includes the most recent CPU  plus additional non-security bug fixes.
>
> What are PSE's and MLR's though and how do I know if I really need them?
>
> Also I thought Oracle said once you start applying PSU's to an oracle
> home you should not revert back to CPU's, however in my OMS home I've
> applied PSU's, yet the patch recommendations both in Grid Control and
> MOS are recommending the latest CPU. Do I have it backwards? Is it ok to
> go from PSU to CPU but not CPU to PSU?

Here you can find a nice 44-page PDF "Patching and HA environments"
that covers all these acronyms:
http://www.ogh.nl/downloads/OGH20100303_PHYLIPE_BRYS.pdf

HTH.

--
Jeroen
From: Chuck on
John Hurley wrote:

> An alternate explanation for PSU's might be to say since Oracle
> support got really behind in delivering Patch Sets on a timely basis
> they came up with something else to keep you updated between Patch
> Sets.
>
> They claim they are well tested.

I thought that PSU's *were* patchsets. No?