From: john1987 on
Hi,
I think my question got buried in the discussion so I am putting my
question out there again. Please be patient.

I am attaching two new drawings to show what I want. I do not know
about accuracy but i would as say as much as accurate as possible.

First link is as follows
http://img828.imageshack.us/i/scan0001j.jpg/

Second link is as follows

http://img299.imageshack.us/i/scan0002db.jpg/

I want to sample the peak value of the sine wave by using ADC
(sampling rate 200ksps). I want to sample the peak value of the sine
wave at the rising edge or the falling edge of the square wave that
you can see in the diagram. The edges will trigger the ADC and ADC
will sample that edge. The ADC can not sample the negative values as
shown in the diagram. I did not mention the circuitry that can add
offset to the input signal and make it all positive.

The questions are

1. Is there any way other than RC circuit to get the peak sample of
the sine wave at the rising and falling edge?
2. Whats the difference between in this case between using the High
pass and low pass filter?
3. How a PLL can help in this case?
4. Any advice about choosing the right ADC?
5. I tested the suggested high pass filter using the 220pF and
7.6kOhm
resistor and found that the edge is occuring at the right spot in
pspice than the low pass filter.

Thanks
John

From: Michael Kellett on

"john1987" <conphiloso(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I think my question got buried in the discussion so I am putting my
> question out there again. Please be patient.
>
> I am attaching two new drawings to show what I want. I do not know
> about accuracy but i would as say as much as accurate as possible.
>

> First link is as follows
> http://img828.imageshack.us/i/scan0001j.jpg/
>

> Second link is as follows
>

> http://img299.imageshack.us/i/scan0002db.jpg/
>

> I want to sample the peak value of the sine wave by using ADC
> (sampling rate 200ksps). I want to sample the peak value of the sine
> wave at the rising edge or the falling edge of the square wave that
> you can see in the diagram. The edges will trigger the ADC and ADC
> will sample that edge. The ADC can not sample the negative values as
> shown in the diagram. I did not mention the circuitry that can add
> offset to the input signal and make it all positive.
>

> The questions are
>

> 1. Is there any way other than RC circuit to get the peak sample of
> the sine wave at the rising and falling edge?
> 2. Whats the difference between in this case between using the High
> pass and low pass filter?
> 3. How a PLL can help in this case?
> 4. Any advice about choosing the right ADC?
> 5. I tested the suggested high pass filter using the 220pF and
> 7.6kOhm
> resistor and found that the edge is occuring at the right spot in
> pspice than the low pass filter.
>

> Thanks
> John

I think that at last I understand what you are trying to do but you need to
answer some more questions before I could offer any solution.

How much does the frequency of the '200kHz' sine wave vary
How much does the amplitude vary and how fast
How pure is the 200kHz sine wave - ie how much 400kHz, 600kHz etc
Do you need to catch every single positve and negative peak or would every
16th (or 8th or 32nd) one be OK

Michael Kellett

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:24:24 -0700 (PDT), john1987
<conphiloso(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I think my question got buried in the discussion so I am putting my
>question out there again. Please be patient.
>
>I am attaching two new drawings to show what I want. I do not know
>about accuracy but i would as say as much as accurate as possible.
>

>First link is as follows
>http://img828.imageshack.us/i/scan0001j.jpg/
>

>Second link is as follows
>

>http://img299.imageshack.us/i/scan0002db.jpg/
>

>I want to sample the peak value of the sine wave by using ADC
>(sampling rate 200ksps). I want to sample the peak value of the sine
>wave at the rising edge or the falling edge of the square wave that
>you can see in the diagram. The edges will trigger the ADC and ADC
>will sample that edge. The ADC can not sample the negative values as
>shown in the diagram. I did not mention the circuitry that can add
>offset to the input signal and make it all positive.
>

>The questions are
>

>1. Is there any way other than RC circuit to get the peak sample of
>the sine wave at the rising and falling edge?
>2. Whats the difference between in this case between using the High
>pass and low pass filter?
>3. How a PLL can help in this case?
>4. Any advice about choosing the right ADC?
>5. I tested the suggested high pass filter using the 220pF and
>7.6kOhm
>resistor and found that the edge is occuring at the right spot in
>pspice than the low pass filter.
>

>Thanks
>John

All of your questions have been previously answered.

What is eluding you?

The suggested "hi-pass" is actually a differentiator and 7.6K should
be 75 to 82 Ohms, NOT K!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: john1987 on
On Aug 2, 11:02 am, "Michael Kellett" <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> "john1987" <conphil...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi,
> > I think my question got buried in the discussion so I am putting my
> > question out there again.  Please be patient.
>
> > I am attaching two new drawings to show what I want. I do not know
> > about accuracy but i would as say as much as accurate as possible.
>
> > First link is as follows
> >http://img828.imageshack.us/i/scan0001j.jpg/
>
> > Second link is as follows
>
> >http://img299.imageshack.us/i/scan0002db.jpg/
>
> > I want to sample the peak value of the sine wave by using ADC
> > (sampling rate 200ksps). I want to sample the peak value of the sine
> > wave at the rising edge or the falling edge of the square wave that
> > you can see in the diagram. The edges will trigger the ADC and ADC
> > will sample that edge. The ADC can not sample the negative values as
> > shown in the diagram. I did not mention the circuitry that can add
> > offset to the input signal and make it all positive.
>
> > The questions are
>
> > 1. Is there any way other than RC circuit to get the peak sample of
> > the sine wave at the rising and falling edge?
> > 2. Whats the difference between in this case between using the High
> > pass and low pass filter?
> > 3. How a PLL can help in this case?
> > 4. Any advice about choosing the right ADC?
> > 5. I tested the suggested high pass filter using the 220pF and
> > 7.6kOhm
> > resistor and found that the edge is occuring at the right spot in
> > pspice than the low pass filter.
>
> > Thanks
> > John
>
> I think that at last I understand what you are trying to do but you need to
> answer some more questions before I could offer any solution.
>
> How much does the frequency of the '200kHz' sine wave vary
> How much does the amplitude vary and how fast
> How pure is the 200kHz sine wave - ie how much 400kHz, 600kHz etc
> Do you need to catch every single positve and negative peak or would every
> 16th (or 8th or 32nd) one be OK
>
> Michael Kellett- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

The frequency of the sine wave will stay 100KHz (10usec). I do not
know exactly how much will it be varying but I guess we can design for
the error of +/- 0.001usec from its original value. I do not know how
much the amplitude be varying, I would say +/- 0.0001 volts. How
fast , I do not know. You can assume some realistic value. If you
advice how to design the system around these values than later I will
take the error values into account when I get the true values later.

It is pure 100KHz sine wave. I do need to catch every single positive
and negative peak.

Thanks

john
From: john1987 on
On Aug 2, 11:04 am, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...(a)On-My-
Web-Site.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 07:24:24 -0700 (PDT), john1987
>

> <conphil...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I think my question got buried in the discussion so I am putting my
> >question out there again.  Please be patient.
>
> >I am attaching two new drawings to show what I want. I do not know
> >about accuracy but i would as say as much as accurate as possible.
>
> >First link is as follows
> >http://img828.imageshack.us/i/scan0001j.jpg/
>
> >Second link is as follows
>
> >http://img299.imageshack.us/i/scan0002db.jpg/
>
> >I want to sample the peak value of the sine wave by using ADC
> >(sampling rate 200ksps). I want to sample the peak value of the sine
> >wave at the rising edge or the falling edge of the square wave that
> >you can see in the diagram. The edges will trigger the ADC and ADC
> >will sample that edge. The ADC can not sample the negative values as
> >shown in the diagram. I did not mention the circuitry that can add
> >offset to the input signal and make it all positive.
>
> >The questions are
>
> >1. Is there any way other than RC circuit to get the peak sample of
> >the sine wave at the rising and falling edge?
> >2. Whats the difference between in this case between using the High
> >pass and low pass filter?
> >3. How a PLL can help in this case?
> >4. Any advice about choosing the right ADC?
> >5. I tested the suggested high pass filter using the 220pF and
> >7.6kOhm
> >resistor and found that the edge is occuring at the right spot in
> >pspice than the low pass filter.
>
> >Thanks
> >John
>
> All of your questions have been previously answered.
>
> What is eluding you?
>
> The suggested "hi-pass" is actually a differentiator and 7.6K should
> be 75 to 82 Ohms, NOT K!
>
>                                         ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, CTO                            |    mens     |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems  |    manus    |
> | Phoenix, Arizona  85048    Skype: Contacts Only  |             |
> | Voice:(480)460-2350begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (480)460-2350      end_of_the_skype_highlighting Fax: Available upon request |  Brass Rat  |
> | E-mail Icon athttp://www.analog-innovations.com|    1962     |
>
>                    Spice is like a sports car...
>      Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.- Hide quoted text -

Hi,

I tried the circuit with your values in pspice and found that the
circuit is not detecting the peak positive and neagtive sine values at
the rising and falling edge of the square wave. So, I played with the
R and C values and found the 220pF and 7.6kohm got the edges right
where I wanted. But I sitll do not know that its a good solution. Any
advice on choosing the ADC too.

Thanks
John