From: nukeymusic on
Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

nukey
From: cassiope on
On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> nukey

How close to 0dB? What sort of Q (bw/f0)? What's the load?
From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
<fpm(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:

>passive rc-bandpass filter

Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
poster :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Postings via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups, and
trolls/feeders, are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v6.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website
From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/02/2010 10:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
> <fpm(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
>> passive rc-bandpass filter
>
> Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
> poster :-)

It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".

|| ___
Vin o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o Vout
|| | |
| |
.-. ---
| | ---
| | |
'-' |
| |
| |
=== ===
GND GND
(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you. It's not a _resonant_
bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's
zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the
frequency approaches infinity.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/02/2010 07:50 AM, nukeymusic wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

Ask your prof? Review your class notes?

There's some passive RC filter with not too many components that
actually has a bit of voltage gain. It's usefulness is pretty much
limited to winning bets in University bars, but it's out there. I can't
even remember if it's bandpass, but if it isn't it may have a bandpass
cousin.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services