From: SC Tom on

"SC Tom" <sc(a)tom.net> wrote in message

> "LeeG" <lee.gorton(removethis)@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The software is the connection software for a '3' (Huawei E156G HSDPA USB
>> stick) mobile Broadband dongle.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> What software?

>>> .
>>>

> Did Windows prompt you for a driver disc when you plugged it in? According
> to the instructions with my IOGear USB 2.1 Micro Adapter, the Bluetooth
> stack is included with XP SP2 or later. I plugged mine in on my Win7
> notebook and it was found and set up, then it prompted me for updated
> drivers, if I had any.
> As a test, I just plugged it into my WP SP3 desktop, and it was recognized
> and popped up the configuration page. I was never asked for a driver disc
> with XP.
> You might consider doing a System Restore to before the first time you
> tried installing it, then plugging it in and see if it's found on its own.
> --
> SC Tom

Sorry, that should be "XP", not "WP." :-(

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
The problem is with the software, not Windows.

Did you insert the accompanying disk into the appropriate drive-bay?

Have you tried unplugging the USB modem?

From: LeeG on
Hi SC Tom

No it did not. I had to install the drivers from the dongle manually.
There must be some flag or file somewhere that has not been reset causing
this loop. If I could find this I am sure I can stop it. At this rate I am
going have to do a clean install which I do not want to do. I have cleaned
out the temp directories and non of the files on the dongle have been
modified or created as a result of the install so where is this reboot
notification coming from?

From: LeeG on
Hi PA Bear.

I know it is the software that is causing the problem but it must be being
told ,from somewhere, that a reboot is needed and after the reboot this
instruction has not been removed. I want to locate that offending
instruction to stop it.

From: SC Tom on
Other than the registry or the Startup folder, I don't know that it can be
accessed by any normal means. Nothing in MSCONFIG that mentions it? Have you
tried a System Restore to the day before the installation?
--
SC Tom