From: Mani on
Hi,

I Have no idea about performance counter in windows vista. Can any one pelase tell me, Is it possible to reset the peformance counter in windows vista by using MFC with ATL?. If it possible means, please explain me.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
There is an unfortunate fixation on OO programming that says "every capability of the OS
is exposed by way of some MFC or ATL class" and this is simply not true. If you know how
to read a performance counter, you just read it as if you never heard of MFC or ATL. If
you want to write a class to do it, feel free. Not every OS capability has a class to go
with it.
joe

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:13:53 -0700, Mani <user(a)msgroups.net/> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I Have no idea about performance counter in windows vista. Can any one pelase tell me, Is it possible to reset the peformance counter in windows vista by using MFC with ATL?. If it possible means, please explain me.
>
>---
>frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Hector Santos on
+1

Throwing in the "VISTA" gave me the idea that its doing something
different, maybe security wise. But the minimum Performance Counter
API should work the same in all OSes.

--

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> There is an unfortunate fixation on OO programming that says "every capability of the OS
> is exposed by way of some MFC or ATL class" and this is simply not true. If you know how
> to read a performance counter, you just read it as if you never heard of MFC or ATL. If
> you want to write a class to do it, feel free. Not every OS capability has a class to go
> with it.
> joe
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:13:53 -0700, Mani <user(a)msgroups.net/> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I Have no idea about performance counter in windows vista. Can any one pelase tell me, Is it possible to reset the peformance counter in windows vista by using MFC with ATL?. If it possible means, please explain me.
>>
>> ---
>> frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.vc.mfc/
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
There is another unfortunate OO fixation: that unless there IS a class, any OS capability
CANNOT be used!
joe

From: Hans-J. Ude on
Mani schrieb:

> I Have no idea about performance counter in windows vista. Can any one pelase tell me,
> Is it possible to reset the peformance counter in windows vista by using MFC with ATL?.
> If it possible means, please explain me.

Somebody wrote a class called CCPUTicker. It encapsulates the RDTSC
assembly instruction. It's old and I don't know of multiple cpu(cores)
support, neither of OS version support. And I doubt that there is any
way at all to modify the counter. But have a look.

Hans