From: Marc Haber on
Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>I tried the office: no way, but that is all steel and concrete. Right now
>I'm sitting outside an Italian bar right in the middle of a big
>metropolian area. Throughput is in the kb range. OK for nntp, but not for
>much else.

What kind of Hardware? Are you sure that you're connected via UMTS?
How is the latency to a pingable host on the Internet?

Grüße
Marc
Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/
From: Günther Schwarz on
Marc Haber wrote:

> Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>>I tried the office: no way, but that is all steel and concrete. Right
>>now I'm sitting outside an Italian bar right in the middle of a big
>>metropolian area. Throughput is in the kb range. OK for nntp, but not
>>for much else.
>
> What kind of Hardware?

SAMSUNG SGH-Z630 connected via USB or Bluetooth to a Thinkpad X300. I
have some USB stick from ZTE (?) also but do not know how to set this up
with Debian.

> Are you sure that you're connected via UMTS?

How can I tell? The phone manages the connection to the network. It's
display shows the symbol for HSDPA and almost maximal signal strength.

> How is the latency to a pingable host on the Internet?

Today it works better with 100-300 kb/s for a ssh copy from a reliable
host with good bandwith. Results for a ping:

$ ping www.heise.de
PING www.heise.de (193.99.144.85) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=447 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=383 ms
64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=400 ms
^C64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=4 ttl=245 time=395
ms

--- www.heise.de ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3012ms

Just for comparison the results for my landline connection (access to the
router via WLAN):
Ping times are reduced by a factor of ten and speed is in the range where
HSDPA claims to be (though still less than what I pay my telco for).

Günther
From: Marc Haber on
Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>Marc Haber wrote:
>> Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>>>I tried the office: no way, but that is all steel and concrete. Right
>>>now I'm sitting outside an Italian bar right in the middle of a big
>>>metropolian area. Throughput is in the kb range. OK for nntp, but not
>>>for much else.
>>
>> What kind of Hardware?
>
>SAMSUNG SGH-Z630 connected via USB or Bluetooth to a Thinkpad X300. I
>have some USB stick from ZTE (?) also but do not know how to set this up
>with Debian.

Bluetooth is too slow for UMTS speeds. Try UMTS or a directly
connected device. Sorry, I canno comment on the ZTE device.

>> Are you sure that you're connected via UMTS?
>
>How can I tell? The phone manages the connection to the network. It's
>display shows the symbol for HSDPA and almost maximal signal strength.

That sounds good.

>> How is the latency to a pingable host on the Internet?
>
>Today it works better with 100-300 kb/s for a ssh copy from a reliable
>host with good bandwith. Results for a ping:
>
>$ ping www.heise.de
>PING www.heise.de (193.99.144.85) 56(84) bytes of data.
>64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=447 ms
>64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=383 ms
>64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=400 ms
>^C64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=4 ttl=245 time=395
>ms

That's a typical EDGE latency. HSDPA should be in the 100 ms range.

>Ping times are reduced by a factor of ten and speed is in the range where
>HSDPA claims to be (though still less than what I pay my telco for).

It's a common misconception that you pay your telco for 16 Mbit just
because the product you bought contains the string 16000. Read the
fine print and get acquainted with DSL physics, which generally
ignores marketing..

Greetings
From: Günther Schwarz on
Marc Haber wrote:

> Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:

>>Today it works better with 100-300 kb/s for a ssh copy from a reliable
>>host with good bandwith. Results for a ping:
>>
>>$ ping www.heise.de
>>PING www.heise.de (193.99.144.85) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from
>>www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=447 ms 64 bytes
>>from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=2 ttl=245 time=383 ms 64
>>bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=3 ttl=245 time=400 ms
>>^C64 bytes from www.heise.de (193.99.144.85): icmp_seq=4 ttl=245
>>time=395 ms
>
> That's a typical EDGE latency. HSDPA should be in the 100 ms range.

Performance is indeed comparable to another SIM-card on a location where
no UMTS is available. So is Samsung to blame for the invention of
cheating electronics? ;-)

>>Ping times are reduced by a factor of ten and speed is in the range
>>where HSDPA claims to be (though still less than what I pay my telco
>>for).
>
> It's a common misconception that you pay your telco for 16 Mbit just
> because the product you bought contains the string 16000. Read the fine
> print and get acquainted with DSL physics, which generally ignores
> marketing..

That is true an well said. But I still do not get what the router
appliance tells me about the setup of the line. This gets OT. As far as
networking is concerned appliances take over for the sake of convenience,
but less control is the price one has to pay for that.

Günther
From: Lew Pitcher on

Warning:

Lew Pitcher, who posts to this newsgroup, is a domain thief.

Read the full story at http://www.lewpitcher.ca