From: Günther Schwarz on
Trying to set up a ppp mobile broadband connection within the German 3G
network (APN mail.partner.de) I experience serious performance issues:
The connection lives up to some 300kb/s but then drops down to a few kb/s
for extended time. The modem (Samsung Z100) claims reception to be good
and 3G/HSDPA to be available.
With the very same settings (different APN, of course) and hardware
connections with the Telefónica mobile network are quite nice and stable.
So for the time being I prefer to pay Telefónica though Vodafone is
included in my ISP contract and basically free of charge.
Can anybody confirm that Vodafone Germany simply sucks? Any suggestions
on how to tweak the connection settings?

My wvdial.conf:

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone =
Username =
Password =
New PPPD = yes

[Dialer vodafone-usb]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","mail.partner.de","",0,0
Init8 = ATM1
Modem Type = USB Modem
Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = ich
Username = geheim

Günther
From: Marc Haber on
Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>Can anybody confirm that Vodafone Germany simply sucks? Any suggestions
>on how to tweak the connection settings?

Mobile network performance is highly dependent on your location.
Vodafone is generally slightly better than O2, but there are places
where the contrary is the case (for example, my apartment). But in
difficult situations, such as in a moving train, I'd stick with
Vodafone any time.

Greetings
Marc
Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | http://www.zugschlus.de/
From: Günther Schwarz on
Marc Haber wrote:

> Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>>Can anybody confirm that Vodafone Germany simply sucks? Any suggestions
>>on how to tweak the connection settings?
>
> Mobile network performance is highly dependent on your location.
> Vodafone is generally slightly better than O2, but there are places
> where the contrary is the case (for example, my apartment). But in
> difficult situations, such as in a moving train, I'd stick with Vodafone
> any time.

Moving trains are a different matter. Reception with Telefónica is quite
often simply limited to train stations. But then for the time being I'm
just sitting on my couch.
I will give it a try in a different location. So mobile broadband means
that I will have to get some exercise and take a walk in order to read my
mail? That gives the concept a new meaning ;-)

Günther
From: Marc Haber on
Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>I will give it a try in a different location. So mobile broadband means
>that I will have to get some exercise and take a walk in order to read my
>mail? That gives the concept a new meaning ;-)

If your place is sufficiently remote, you might have to resort to
that. But most places do have decent coverage of at least one of
Germany's four networks. Even E Plus may be worth trying, and as
matter of last resort you can always use T-Mobile.

From: Günther Schwarz on
Marc Haber wrote:

> Günther Schwarz <strap(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>>I will give it a try in a different location. So mobile broadband means
>>that I will have to get some exercise and take a walk in order to read
>>my mail? That gives the concept a new meaning ;-)
>
> If your place is sufficiently remote, you might have to resort to that.
> But most places do have decent coverage of at least one of Germany's
> four networks.

I tried the office: no way, but that is all steel and concrete. Right now
I'm sitting outside an Italian bar right in the middle of a big
metropolian area. Throughput is in the kb range. OK for nntp, but not for
much else. I could try Vodafone's own APN, but they will charge me a lot
for that.

Günther