From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Pseudonyme <normancougloff(a)gmail.com>:

> get() from WWW::Mechanize.
> That one sounds a nice function. Cool ! I will search the options that
> relate to that function ?
>
> 1 - PHP versus PERL
>
> The Perl language seems more powerful than the PHP Language. What kind
> of music sounds to your ears about this sentence ?

I'm not interested in language advocacy debates. Anyone who will
willingly use PHP is welcome to it.

> 2 - PHP into PERL ?
> An automatic tool to convert ?

There isn't any such thing. It would be fairly difficult to write, and
there isn't really much point. (Unless of course you count

| : I've heard that there is a shell (bourne or csh) to perl filter, does
| : anyone know of this or where I can get it?
|
| Yeah, you filter it through Tom Christiansen. :-)
-- Larry Wall

:).)

> 3 - PERL is also a community like PHP ?
>
> perldoc -q and http://perldoc.perl.org/

Perl is certainly a community. See http://perl.org/. perldoc -q searches
the Perl FAQ, which is maintained by brian d foy based on suggestions
from all of us.

> MSFT offers for example a fantastic and exhaustive documentation for C+
> + Development (MSDN). How is the documentation with Perl ?

Perl documentation is generally very complete, but not always terribly
easy to follow. For instance, it can be quite hard to find the answer to
'Which module should I use for X?': searching for 'X' on search.cpan.org
might turn up several modules, and it can be difficult to find out which
is generally considered best. Asking here, or elsewhere
(http://perlmonks.org/ is popular) is often a good strategy.

Ben

From: J�rgen Exner on
Pseudonyme <normancougloff(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>1 - PHP versus PERL
>
>The Perl language seems more powerful than the PHP Language.

Different design, different purpose, different application area,
partially overlapping usage.
It's like saying a pickup truck is more useful than a suburban. For a
contractor that is certainly true, for a soccer mum certainly not.

>2 - PHP into PERL ?
>An automatic tool to convert ?

Not that I know of and given that they are rather different languages
with rather different design and different application areas I doubt
that anyone has bothered writing such a tool.

>3 - PERL is also a community like PHP ?

Perl is _not_ an acronym. If you are talking about the programming
language, then it is properly spelled as "Perl", if you are talking
about the interpreter it is properly spelled as "perl".
PERL in all caps is something different, I don't know what it is, but it
is not related to what this NG is all about.

>perldoc -q and http://perldoc.perl.org/
>
>MSFT offers for example a fantastic and exhaustive documentation for C+
>+ Development (MSDN). How is the documentation with Perl ?

Perl's documentation is extensive and it is automatically installed with
every Perl installation to give you instant access as well as to match
the Perl version you are using, see 'perldoc perl' for a top-level
overview of what topics are available.

And there are also numerous good books on various topics ranging from
basic introduction into Perl to major software projects like managing
databases or large web sites or complex IT situations with Perl.
Unfortunately there are also quite a few not so good books as well as
many horrible web sites about Perl. See "perldoc -q books" for a list of
recommended titles.

jue