From: A. Sinan Unur on
Ben Bullock <benkasminbullock(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 00:41:44 +0000, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>
>> Not to start another flamewar over names, but I don't think DJ
>> appreciates his name being mangled like that.
>>
>> http://www.delorie.com/users/dj/
>
> That made me laugh, because it says "It is not correct to insert a
> space between the D and the J, or to put periods after them as if
> they were initials, or to make either of them lower case" but the
> title of the page is "dj delorie" in lower case, and the top
> graphical bar also says "dj delorie" in lower case.

But in that case *both* of them are in lower case (i.e. Guttman-
style is OK ;-)

IIRC from my days on comp.os.msdos.djgpp, it is OK to refer to DJGPP
as djgpp but it is not OK to use DjGPP, dJGPP, Djgpp etc.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <1usa(a)llenroc.ude.invalid>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/
From: DJ Delorie on

Ben Bullock <benkasminbullock(a)gmail.com> writes:
> but the title of the page is "dj delorie" in lower case, and the top
> graphical bar also says "dj delorie" in lower case.

I consider that to be an artistic rendering of my name, not the name
itself. Likewise, when people complain that my email address is
"dj(a)delorie.com" and not "DJ(a)Delorie.com" I reply that "dj" in that
case is my email address, not my name.

However, the rules for "djgpp" are different, because it's not *my*
name, it's *djgpp*'s name. The rules are that all the letters should
be the same case - either DJGPP or djgpp, but never Djgpp.

Funny, at the moment I'm trying to get my insurance cards printed with
my name printed right. Four wrong ones so far...
From: szr on
Robbie Hatley wrote:
> Juan Manuel Guerrero wrote:
>
>> Robbie Hatley schrieb:
>> [snip]
>>> I'm curious: Have any of the others in these two groups had
>>> problems running perldoc on DJGPP on Win2K? Or more to the
>>> point, can anyone here SUCCESSFULLY run DJGPP perldoc on
>>> Win2K? I'm wondering if this is a widespread bug, or just
>>> some fluke of setup of the 2 machines I'm seeing it on.
>>
>> Perl 5.8.8 compiled with djdev203 runs flawlessly on my Win98SE box
>> and perl 5.8.8 compiled with djdev204 runs flawlessly on my
>> WinXP box too. I can not reproduce the error you are reporting in
>> any way.
>
> Win98SE and WinXP are not Win2K.

Actually XP is a direct descendant of 2K, which comes from the NT line,
while 98 descends from 95 which bares roots in the 3.x line.

--
szr

From: Juan Manuel Guerrero on
Robbie Hatley schrieb:
> Juan Manuel Guerrero wrote:
>
> > (reports of successes and failures on MSDOS, Win98,
> > and WinXP)
>
> Thanks for the information, but I don't use those OSs.
> All the computers I use both at home and at work run
> Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional. (IMO, the only
> "good" OS Microsoft ever made.)

I can only report what I have noticed on the OSs
that I have access to. Actually I do not know any
person that runs W2K so I can not test on that.
My intention was to make clear that there is a
file name issue that I will not fix. Perl and all
the other ports I have released during the last
few years are not capable to handle SFN that
use numeric tails. No one should be surprised
if he use some Windows system with LFN support
and he set LFN=n in his environment that the
DJGPP stops working. The only exception to
this rule are those Windows systems where the
user has control over numeric tail generation.
Neitherless all this do not explain the failure you
are reporting.
This implies that I am assuming that run DJGPP
with LFN=y in your environment.

> Djgpp works fine for me on Win2K machines, with the
> exception of the documentation for Perl 5.8.8, all of
> which (perldoc, info, man) is broken and useless.
> (Perldoc.pm crashes w complaints of not being able to
> write temporary files; and the man pages cause ntvdm.exe
> to crash w "illegal memory access" if you try to read
> them. As for the info pages, there aren't any.)

I can read the formated man pages on all my OSs.
What does ntvdm.exe make crash : man.exe or
less.exe ?

Regards,
Juan M. Guerrero
From: Maurice Lombardi on
DJ Delorie a �crit :
> I consider that to be an artistic rendering of my name, not the name
> itself. Likewise, when people complain that my email address is
> "dj(a)delorie.com" and not "DJ(a)Delorie.com" I reply that "dj" in that
> case is my email address, not my name.

> Funny, at the moment I'm trying to get my insurance cards printed with
> my name printed right. Four wrong ones so far...

Just curious.
You say that dj is your first name.
I never heard previously of such a first name, and apparently, your
problems come from the fact that everybody is alike.
From what country on earth it comes, has it some meaning in some
language, how do you pronounce it ?

Maurice

--