From: Help_needed on
I have XP, I also tried below steps and it didn't work, the "Wireless No
Connection" icon always end up coming back.

Right-click "start" then Properties -> "Taskbar" tab ->
Make sure "Hide inactive icons" is checked, then click "Customize"
Find the item you want to hide, click in "Behavior" column and select
"Always hide"