From: Jim on
A friend of mine has gotten infected with the "Personal Security"
virus, that is, no matter what icons or programs you try to start it
will not allow you to run any programs.

I got this thing about a month ago, and was able to restore my
computer with my weekly backup, but my friend running XP cannot
get the restore to work. I think he had a few people look at it
but don't think any are gurus or such.

Is there anything he can do to try to salvage his computer?

Thanks,

Jim

From: Bert Hyman on
In news:ck8ou5lp0ahgjt0jrni3j8euckenabpg46(a)4ax.com Jim
<nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> I got this thing about a month ago, and was able to restore my
> computer with my weekly backup, but my friend running XP cannot
> get the restore to work. I think he had a few people look at it
> but don't think any are gurus or such.
>
> Is there anything he can do to try to salvage his computer?

Several of the anti-virus vendors have bootable recovery CDs that you
can point at the afflicted PC. Can't say for sure if they'll fix this
problem, but it's probably worth a try.

Avira's bootable image is available here:

http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/rescue_system/common/en/rescue_system-common-en.iso

I'm sure there are others.

Download it, burn to a CD, then set the afflicted PCs BIOS to boot from
the CD and cross your fingers.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert(a)iphouse.com
From: MowGreen on
Jim wrote:
> A friend of mine has gotten infected with the "Personal Security"
> virus, that is, no matter what icons or programs you try to start it
> will not allow you to run any programs.
>
> I got this thing about a month ago, and was able to restore my
> computer with my weekly backup, but my friend running XP cannot
> get the restore to work. I think he had a few people look at it
> but don't think any are gurus or such.
>
> Is there anything he can do to try to salvage his computer?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Try here, Jim:
Remove Personal Security (Uninstall Guide)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-personal-security

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
From: Jim on

Thank you, it worked.

By his going into the task manager and disabling the Personal Security
..exe file, he was able to go to RESTORE and restore the machine to
a few weeks prior.

Thanks for the help,

Jim