From: Clay on
On Jan 2, 11:01 pm, Le Chaud Lapin <jaibudu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 8:45 pm, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 3, 12:50 pm, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > > So commerce can drive innovation, and usually does.   Much, if not most,
> > > academic research is funded by companies interested in the research area
> > > because, guess what, they can use it to make products that make money..
> > >   I don't see a problem here.
>
> > Not always, scholarly pursuit is just the pursuit of knowledge for its
> > own sake. The money motivation factor need not play a role at all.
>
> I think a lot of thinkers start off thinking this way, before, say,
> the age of 25, until they discover the Rent Monster, and realize that
> they need to change their point of view as a matter of survival.
> Unfortunately, many of them make the tragic mistake of presuming that
> their breakthroughs alone will leaven their financial burdens, and act
> accordingly, neglecting their very bodies in blind pursuit of some
> kind of monetary prize associated somehow with the breakthroughs.
>
> Achimedes is said to have bathed so little, others forcibly carried
> him to the bath.
>
> Machiavelli, in his letter to Lorenzo di Medici, makes a pious request
> for sponsorship, not necessarily in exchange for "The Prince", but as
> a gesture of appreciation, since he was poor, and "The Prince" would
> obviously have some benefit to Medici.
>
> Heaviside was served with numerous warrants for not paying his heating
> bill.
>
> Einstein could have used a few more socks and other basic items.
>
> > Exactly what did Einstein have in mind when discovering relativity or
>
> At first, relativity, then later, prize money to be gained from the
> Nobel Prize that he expected to win so that he would have enough for
> himself and his ex-wife.
>
> > Newton when he discovered the laws of motion?
>
> Probably: rent. If his biographies are any indication, he was
> notoriously neglectful of things other people consider necessary for
> survival.
>
> > I do agree however that many Universities are now greedy bastards and
> > are in many respects becoming like companies.
>
> Yes, the trend is certainly headed this way. I am begining to think
> that this trend is inevitable, an artifact of class struggle.
>
> -Le Chaud Lapin-

Small nit: Einstein was awarded the Nobel prize for the photoelectric
effect. To be sure his theoretical work was part of it, but
specifically his work on the photoelectric effect was cited by the
Nobel committee.

Clay
From: fatalist on
On Jan 4, 12:05 am, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes I agree and that is exactly why all Scientific and engineering
> knowledge should be free - including journals. Don't get me started on
> journals though..theiving bastards!- Hide quoted text -

"free" as in "speech" or as in "beer" ?

There is nothing "free" as in "beer" in this world

"free" is just a popular slogan for slashbot/techdirt-reading punks
and open-source junkies
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Hello Dmitry Tores,

Why don't you go by full name theese days?

fatalist wrote:

> On Jan 4, 12:05 am, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes I agree and that is exactly why all Scientific and engineering
>>knowledge should be free - including journals. Don't get me started on
>>journals though..theiving bastards!- Hide quoted text -

> "free" as in "speech" or as in "beer" ?
>
> There is nothing "free" as in "beer" in this world

"Free speech" is a legal term which means that you are allowed to
criticize the government in prescribed way and if nobody listens to you.
Don't know how this is relevant to home-brew software and other
business/non-business activities.

> "free" is just a popular slogan for slashbot/techdirt-reading punks
> and open-source junkies

VLV
From: fatalist on
On Jan 2, 9:45 pm, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 3, 12:50 pm, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>
> > So commerce can drive innovation, and usually does.   Much, if not most,
> > academic research is funded by companies interested in the research area
> > because, guess what, they can use it to make products that make money.
> >   I don't see a problem here.
>
> Not always, scholarly pursuit is just the pursuit of knowledge for its
> own sake. The money motivation factor need not play a role at all.
> Exactly what did Einstein have in mind when discovering relativity or
> Newton when he discovered the laws of motion?
> I do agree however that many Universities are now greedy bastards and
> are in many respects becoming like companies.
>
> Hardy

"Exactly what did Einstein have in mind when discovering relativity ?"

Let me guess...
Being completely unemployable in his field (physics) and working as a
*third-rate* patent clerk to pay the bills, it is very easy to assume
what Einstein had in mind when publishing his papers - getting a
permanent and well-paying position in physics (which he eventually
obtained - 4 years after his "Annus Mirabilis")

How old are you, kiddo ?
From: fatalist on
On Jan 4, 12:51 pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hello Dmitry Tores,
>
> Why don't you go by full name theese days?
>
> fatalist wrote:
> > On Jan 4, 12:05 am, HardySpicer <gyansor...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Yes I agree and that is exactly why all Scientific and engineering
> >>knowledge should be free - including journals. Don't get me started on
> >>journals though..theiving bastards!- Hide quoted text -

> > "free" as in "speech" or as in "beer" ?
>
> > There is nothing "free" as in "beer" in this world
>
> "Free speech" is a legal term which means that you are allowed to
> criticize the government in prescribed way and if nobody listens to you.
> Don't know how this is relevant to home-brew software and other
> business/non-business activities.
>
> > "free" is just a popular slogan for slashbot/techdirt-reading punks
> > and open-source junkies
>
> VLV

stupident questions you ask, dude
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last