From: Jimmy on
What is so special with Phi? What does it mean?

In an overwhelming number of plants, a given branch or leaf will grow out of
the stem approximately 137.5 degrees around the stem relative to the prior
branch. In other words, after a branch grows out of the plant, the plant
grows up some amount and then sends out another branch rotated 137.5 degrees
relative to the direction that the first branch grew out of.

All plants use a constant amount of rotation in this way, although not all
plants use 137.5 degrees. However, it is believed that the majority of all
plants make use of either the 137.5 degree rotation or a rotation very close
to it as the core number in their leaf or branch dispersion, sending out
each and every leaf or branch after rotating 137.5 degrees around the stem
relative to the prior branch.

If we were to multiply the value of 1 over Phi to the second power
(0.3819659.) times the total number of degrees in a circle (360), we obtain
for a product nothing other than 137.50. degrees. As an alternate way to
look at the same idea, if we were to take the value of 1 over Phi
(0.6180339) and multiply it by 360, we obtain approximately 222.5 degrees.
If we then subtract 222.5 from 360 we again find 137.5 degrees - in other
words, the complimentary angle to 1 over Phi is 137.5 degrees, which also
happens to be the value of 1 over Phi to the second power times 360.

So, if we have followed the described mathematics, it is clear that any
plant that employs a 137.5 degree rotation in the dispersion of its leaves
or branches is using a Phi value intrinsically in its very form. Considering
our discussion in the prior section on Phi in geometry, it is interesting to
note the off-balance five-pointed star that can be seen in the leaf pattern
of plants that employ a 137.5 rotation scheme when they are viewed from
above.

From: Andy Resnick on
Jimmy wrote:
> What is so special with Phi? What does it mean?

<snip>

The golden mean/golden ratio, denoted by the Greek letter Phi,
represents the ratio between two parts such that the whole is to the
larger as the larger is to the smaller. Why this is pleasing, I do not
know. Nevertheless, objects made using Phi as a parameter appear to be
'designed' or more 'rational' than not.
--
Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
From: Schoenfeld on

Jimmy wrote:
> What is so special with Phi? What does it mean?

It is the only number with the recurrence relation:

phi^n = phi^(n-2) + phi^(n-1)

That is why it is such a special number. The rest are details.

From: Jimmy on

"Andy Resnick" <andy.resnick(a)op.case.edu> wrote in message
> Jimmy wrote:
> > What is so special with Phi? What does it mean?
> >
> <snip>
>
> The golden mean/golden ratio, denoted by the Greek letter Phi,
> represents the ratio between two parts such that the whole is to the
> larger as the larger is to the smaller. Why this is pleasing, I do not
> know. Nevertheless, objects made using Phi as a parameter appear to be
> 'designed' or more 'rational' than not.
> --
> Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
> Department of Physiology and Biophysics
> Case Western Reserve University

I just read On Dan Winters site that when we have the feeling of love or
compassion Phi can be found within the ekg.

He says itýs self awarness because of the nature of waves...something :)

Earth can become self aware if the energy (Szhuman??) resonate with Phi, he
says.

From: PD on

Andy Resnick wrote:
> Jimmy wrote:
> > What is so special with Phi? What does it mean?
> >
> <snip>
>
> The golden mean/golden ratio, denoted by the Greek letter Phi,
> represents the ratio between two parts such that the whole is to the
> larger as the larger is to the smaller. Why this is pleasing, I do not
> know. Nevertheless, objects made using Phi as a parameter appear to be
> 'designed' or more 'rational' than not.
> --
> Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
> Department of Physiology and Biophysics
> Case Western Reserve University

This is a basic fractal behavior. What this indicates is that nature
likes to grow things fractally. Note that fractals exhibit not only
self-similarity but also suprising complexity from a minimum number of
rules. This is why Wolfram finds cellular automata so interesting, and
why MIT's robotics group (Rodney Brooks) has been busy *reducing* the
intelligence of its robo-insects' leg actuators with remarkable
success.

PD

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3