From: Don1 on

An object's weight (w) is the net force (f) that it exerts on a
weight-scale or other support, divided by the acceleration of free fall
(g) at that location: Mathematically it can be shown as: Weight=f/a/g;
or more concisely as w=(fg/a). NOT as w=mg, because m=w/g=f/a.

A quick, easy way to determine an object's weight is with a spring
scale like those in the produce section of a grocery market, or a
steelyard type of scale like doctors use; if they are made, and
calibrated to show weight; which is the force due to gravity at Earth's
surface.

Put your old balance scales away with all of your other antiques.

While you are at it, what _is_ the volume and weight of a slug of water
at 39.2 degrees F, and
atmospheric (sea level) pressure?

Don

From: Sam Wormley on
Don1 wrote:
> An object's weight (w) is the net force (f) that it exerts on a
> weight-scale or other support, divided by the acceleration of free fall
> (g) at that location...

Not in the lingo of physics and mathematics, Shead!

Weight
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Weight.html

Inertia
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Inertia.html
The resistance to change in state of motion which all matter exhibits.
It's a concept, Shead, not a number with units, not a ratio.

Newton's First Law
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsFirstLaw.html

Also called the "law of inertia," Newton's first law states that a
body at rest remains at rest and a body in motion continues to move
at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

Newton's Second Law is about "inertial mass"
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsSecondLaw.html

A force F acting on a body gives it an acceleration a which is in
the direction of the force and has magnitude inversely proportional
to the mass m of the body: F = ma

Inertia is an intrinsic property of mass. Most of what follows is
quoted from http://www.physlink.com/ae305.cfm

Gravitational Mass F = GmM/r^2
Inertial Mass F = ma
Acceleration a = dv/dt

1) Inertial mass. This is mainly defined by Newton's law,
the all-too-famous F = ma, which states that when a force
F is applied to an object, it will accelerate
proportionally, and that constant of proportion is the
mass of that object. In very concrete terms, to determine
the inertial mass, you apply a force of F Newtons to an
object, measure the acceleration in m/s^2, and F/a will
give you the inertial mass m in kilograms.

2) Gravitational mass. This is defined by the force of
gravitation, which states that there is a gravitational
force between any pair of objects, which is given by

F = G m1 m2/r^2

where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2
are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance
between them. This, in effect defines the gravitational
mass of an object.

As it turns out, these two masses are equal to each other
as far as we can measure. Also, the equivalence of these
two masses is why all objects fall at the same rate on
earth.

The only difference that we can find between inertial and
gravitational mass that we can find is the method.

Gravitational mass is measured by comparing the force of
gravity of an unknown mass to the force of gravity of a
known mass. This is typically done with some sort of
balance scale. The beauty of this method is that no matter
where, or what planet, you are, the masses will always
balance out because the gravitational acceleration on each
object will be the same. This does break down near
supermassive objects such as black holes and neutron stars
due to the high gradient of the gravitational field around
such objects.

Inertial mass is found by applying a known force to an
unknown mass, measuring the acceleration, and applying
Newton's Second Law, m = F/a. This gives as accurate a
value for mass as the accuracy of your measurements. When
the astronauts need to be weighed in outer space, they
actually find their inertial mass in a special chair.

The interesting thing is that, physically, no difference
has been found between gravitational and inertial mass.
Many experiments have been performed to check the values
and the experiments always agree to within the margin of
error for the experiment. Einstein used the fact that
gravitational and inertial mass were equal to begin his
Theory of General Relativity in which he postulated that
gravitational mass was the same as inertial mass and that
the acceleration of gravity is a result of a "valley" or
slope in the space-time continuum that masses "fell down"
much as pennies spiral around a hole in the common
donation toy at your favorite chain store.

Useful references for Shead
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Inertia.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertia.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Mass.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Momentum.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/NewtonsLaws.html
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Weight.html
From: Don1 on
Sam Wormley wrote:
> Don1 wrote:

An object's weight (w) is the net force (f) that it exerts on a
weight-scale or other support, divided by the acceleration of free fall
(g) at that location: Mathematically it can be shown as: Weight=f/a/g;
or more concisely as w=(fg/a). NOT as w=mg, because m=w/g=f/a.

A quick, easy way to determine an object's weight is with a spring
scale like those in the produce section of a grocery market, or a
steelyard type of scale like doctors use; if they are made, and
calibrated to show weight; which is the force due to gravity at Earth's
surface.

Put your old balance scales away with all of your other antiques.

Don

SNIP<

You'd better learn some modern techniques Sam: Spring scales and
steelyard type scales are the way weight is determined these days; from
the three fundamental variables: Force (f), displacement (s), and time
(t).

Don

From: odin on
> You'd better learn some modern techniques Sam: Spring scales and
> steelyard type scales are the way weight is determined these days; from
> the three fundamental variables: Force (f), displacement (s), and time

Spring scales? You must be joking. Even for every day objects, a balance
beam scale is better than a spring scale. It is too hard to calibrate for
the spring's dependence on temperature, variations in gravitational field,
buoyancy effects, and so on. And then there are the not-so-every-day
objects. Do you really think that the spring scale is the "modern technique"
for determining the mass of a subatomic particle or the mass of planet?

From: Don1 on
odin wrote:
> > You'd better learn some modern techniques Sam: Spring scales and
> > steelyard type scales are the way weight is determined these days; from
> > the three fundamental variables: Force (f), displacement (s), and time
>
> Spring scales? You must be joking. Even for every day objects, a balance
> beam scale is better than a spring scale. It is too hard to calibrate for
> the spring's dependence on temperature, variations in gravitational field,
> buoyancy effects, and so on. And then there are the not-so-every-day
> objects. Do you really think that the spring scale is the "modern technique"
> for determining the mass of a subatomic particle or the mass of planet?

Heck no. bui its quicker, easier and accurate enough for most everyday
measures in an environmentally controled (air conditioned) laboratory
or supermarket.

Think a doctors steelyard scale isn't accurate enough. Think again
buster, they are made and calibrated to determine the weight-forces
acting on them; wherever they are used. The steelyard isn't a new
method either; but is a tried and true weight-scale.

Don

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Quantum Gravity