From: Don1 on
Sam Wormley wrote:
> Don1 wrote:

> >>Don, I know the answer.
> >>
> >>You walk to the mountains.
> >>Picking up a most selected stone.
> >>Walk back to the scientific community.
> >>
> >>Making a manifesto of this stones weight is 1 kg.
> >

> > How can a stone weigh 1 kg you lunkhead? A kg isn't a weight.
> >

> >>And its volume is 1 liter.
> >

> > If you melt it.
> >
> > Snip<
> >
> > It's plain to see that you are one of the "new breed"; certainly not a
> > decent physicist.
> >
> > Don
> >

> Doesn't have to be liquid to have volume, Shead.

Try pouring a liter of solid rock out of a bottle.

Don

From: Sam Wormley on
Don1 wrote:
> Try pouring a liter of solid rock out of a bottle.

Why should I? I can displace a liter of water by submersion
of the rock in water or any other liquid.
From: The Ghost In The Machine on
In sci.physics, Don1
<dcshead(a)charter.net>
wrote
on 29 Jul 2005 07:54:51 -0700
<1122648891.381983.282840(a)g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
> Sam Wormley wrote:
>> Don1 wrote:

>> > How can a stone weigh 1 kg you lunkhead? A kg isn't a weight.

>> > If you melt it.
>> >
>> > Snip<
>> >
>> > It's plain to see that you are one of the "new breed"; certainly not a
>> > decent physicist.
>> >
>> > Don
>> >

>> Doesn't have to be liquid to have volume, Shead.
>
> Try pouring a liter of solid rock out of a bottle.
>
> Don

[1] Grind rock to sand or dust first. No problem pouring that.

[2] Take rock and attack with blowtorch, or, more efficiently,
place in crucible and watch it melt. Admittedly, the most
effective container is something with a high melting point,
so I can't be too clear here, and it depends on the rock.
Once liquid, pour. Since most rocks are silicates one
will probably end up with a variant of a glass; one has
to exercise some care lest he attempt to pour too soon.
(The effect is rather like molasses, as I understand it,
with it becoming more motile as the temperature rises.
Also, hot things tend to fry human flesh. Handle with care.)

[3] If the rock's light enough one might contemplate pouring mercury
into the bottle, along with the rock, and then allow the
rock to float out as one pours out the mercury. Since mercury
is very dense I don't see why this shouldn't work for most
rocks, although one might quibble as to whether one's actually
accomplished the objective or not. (Caution: mercury is poisonous,
although less so than mercuric oxide -- cinnabar.)

[4] The more or less standard method of estimating volume is very
similar to [3], except that it uses water instead of mercury.
A bottle of identical make full of water is used; the water
is poured in until the first bottle is full. The amount of
water left in the second bottle is therefore the volume of
the rock. An alternative is to fill the first bottle full
of water, then pour the water into the second bottle, and
estimate the amount of air in the second bottle. Still
another alternative is to remove the rock from the bottle,
fill it, place a catchbasin under the bottle, carefully place
the rock into the bottle letting the water spill into the
catchbasin, then measure the water in the catchbasin.

[5] If the rock is sufficiently parallelpiped or otherwise easy to
measure (e.g., a standard brick) using a standard ruler, one
can estimate its volume by multiplying width x height x depth.

#191, ewill3(a)earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3