From: MorituriMax on

"Don1" <dcshead(a)charter.net> wrote in message

> Heck no. bui its quicker, easier and accurate enough for most everyday
> measures in an environmentally controled (air conditioned) laboratory
> or supermarket.

And it's all he can afford on his social security.

From: LeoK on
> While you are at it, what _is_ the volume and weight of a slug of water
> at 39.2 degrees F, and
> atmospheric (sea level) pressure?
>
> Don

Don, I know the answer.

You walk to the mountains.
Picking up a most selected stone.
Walk back to the scientific community.

Making a manifesto of this stones weight is 1 kg.
And its volume is 1 liter.
Putting the manifesto on the board.

Collecting the royalty of this standard.
Saving the money collected in a bank.
Living the rest of your life in happiness.

End of story.

LeoK

From: Don1 on
LeoK wrote:
> > While you are at it, what _is_ the volume and weight of a slug of water
> > at 39.2 degrees F, and
> > atmospheric (sea level) pressure?
> >
> > Don
>

> Don, I know the answer.
>
> You walk to the mountains.
> Picking up a most selected stone.
> Walk back to the scientific community.
>
> Making a manifesto of this stones weight is 1 kg.

How can a stone weigh 1 kg you lunkhead? A kg isn't a weight.

> And its volume is 1 liter.

If you melt it.

Snip<

It's plain to see that you are one of the "new breed"; certainly not a
decent physicist.

Don

From: briggs on
In article <We2dnX_d3PQJ8HTfRVn-vQ(a)whidbeytel.com>, "odin" <ragnarok(a)yahoo.com> writes:
>> You'd better learn some modern techniques Sam: Spring scales and
>> steelyard type scales are the way weight is determined these days; from
>> the three fundamental variables: Force (f), displacement (s), and time
>
> Spring scales? You must be joking. Even for every day objects, a balance
> beam scale is better than a spring scale. It is too hard to calibrate for
> the spring's dependence on temperature, variations in gravitational field,
> buoyancy effects, and so on. And then there are the not-so-every-day
> objects. Do you really think that the spring scale is the "modern technique"
> for determining the mass of a subatomic particle or the mass of planet?

I remember when the truck scale down at the grain elevator was a balance
scale. These days, those scales use electronic load cells, the modern
equivalent to a spring scale. Quite accurate and, being electronic,
fairly convenient to calibrate.

Of course, a load cell isn't much help weighing a subatomic particle or
a planet -- unless you're concerned about the weight of the Earth
in the gravitational field of a truckload of corn.

John Briggs
From: Sam Wormley on
Don1 wrote:
> LeoK wrote:
>
>>>While you are at it, what _is_ the volume and weight of a slug of water
>>>at 39.2 degrees F, and
>>>atmospheric (sea level) pressure?
>>>
>>>Don
>>

>>Don, I know the answer.
>>
>>You walk to the mountains.
>>Picking up a most selected stone.
>>Walk back to the scientific community.
>>
>>Making a manifesto of this stones weight is 1 kg.
>

> How can a stone weigh 1 kg you lunkhead? A kg isn't a weight.
>

>>And its volume is 1 liter.
>

> If you melt it.
>
> Snip<
>
> It's plain to see that you are one of the "new breed"; certainly not a
> decent physicist.
>
> Don

Doesn't have to be liquid to have volume, Shead.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Quantum Gravity
Next: Phi in nature