From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.133.1273757049.32709.python-list(a)python.org>, Ed Keith
wrote:

> On Thu, 5/13/10, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <mailman.2834.1273453242.23598.python-list(a)python.org>,
>> Ed Keith wrote:
>>
>>> So if you want me to even consider using your library
>>> do not use GPL, or LGPL.
>>
>> What have you got against LGPL for this purpose?
>
> Most of my clients would not know how to relink a program if their life
> depended on it. And I do not want to put then in DLL hell. So I avoid the
> LGPL.

How exactly does the LGPL lead to a requirement to “relink”?
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 13, 10:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...(a)geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

> How exactly does the LGPL lead to a requirement to “relink”?

I think this might be a misconception, but I'm not 100% sure. Since
Ed gives his customers full source code, there may not be the
requirement to directly provide the ability to relink, because "The
“Corresponding Application Code” for a Combined Work means the object
code and/or source code for the Application." and section 4d0 requires
you to "permit the user to recombine or relink" where "recombine"
isn't defined directly (perhaps in the underlying GPL?)

Nonetheless, all the dotting of i's and crossing of t's to satisfy
section 4 and the underlying GPL probably require a lawyer to check
your source code distribution. For example, what is "prominent
notice"?

And I love the gem at 4e: "Provide Installation Information, but only
if you would otherwise be required to provide such information under
section 6 of the GNU GPL, and only to the extent that such information
is necessary to install and execute a modified version of the Combined
Work produced by recombining or relinking the Application with a
modified version of the Linked Version. (If you use option 4d0, the
Installation Information must accompany the Minimal Corresponding
Source and Corresponding Application Code. If you use option 4d1, you
must provide the Installation Information in the manner specified by
section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source.)"

I mean, it's in English and very technically precise, but if you
follow all the references, you quickly come to realize that the
license is a "patch" to the GPL. It was deliberately made in patch
format to make it smaller, but as we all know, reading source code and
the accompanying patch is almost always more difficult than reading
the patched source.

Regards,
Pat
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 13, 10:03 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...(a)geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <72888d2c-4b1a-4b08-a3aa-
>
> f4021d2ed...(a)e2g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, Patrick Maupin wrote:
> > If I download an Ubuntu ISO, burn it and give it away (let's say I give
> > away 100 copies, just to remove the fair use defense), then I have
> > violated the GPL.  I provided chapter and verse on this; go look it up.
>
> I have looked it up <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>, and sections
> 3b or 3c would seem to apply. Or alternatively
> <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, 6b or 6c. If the source you got it
> from didn’t violate the GPL, then obviously you didn’t either.

I don't think that's necessarily true. As I've posted before: "In
the
case of GPL v3, for example, Ubuntu lets me download code under 6d, so
if I download it and burn it, I would have to use 6a or 6b; if I had
actually received a CD from Ubuntu, I might be able to use 6c, but not
if I downloaded it."

That's because to use 6c, the initial underlying distribution had to
be done with 6b, not 6d. Also the FAQ is very clear:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary

Regards,
Pat
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 13, 10:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...(a)geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.142.1273767256.32709.python-l...(a)python.org>, Ed Keith
> wrote:
>
> > The claim is being made that [the GPL] restricts freedom.
>
> What about the “freedom” to restrict other people’s freedom? Should that be
> restricted or not?

It's interesting that some people don't like the comparison of the
Free Software movement to a religion, yet the main argument of the
movement, and the deliberate co-opting of words like "Free" and "Free
Software" are done in an attempt to guilt others into accepting RMS's
vision of morality.

He's perfectly welcome have that vision. But I don't let it affect my
own moral compass -- I reject it as just another post-modern religion,
AKA cult.

Regards,
Pat
From: Patrick Maupin on
On May 13, 10:06 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...(a)geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.141.1273767256.32709.python-l...(a)python.org>, Ed Keith
> wrote:
>

> > Assertion I:
> >    If person A is free to do more than person B, then person A has
> >    more freedom then person B.
>
> > Assertion II:
> >    If person A is free do perform an action person B is not free to
> >    perform then person A is free to do more than person B.
>
> > Assertion III:
> >   If person B is restricted in some way that person A is not them Person A
> >   is free to do something Person B is not free to do.
>
> > Conclusion:
> >   If person B is more resticted than Peston A, Person A has mor freedom
> >   than person B.
>
> > Which step in this reasoning do you disagree with?
>
> Under the GPL, everybody has exactly the same freedoms. So which of your
> assertions is supposedly a criticism of the GPL?

That's absolutely not true. For a start, the original author can dual-
license. This is not a theoretical issue -- it is a multi-million
dollar issue.

Regards,
Pat