From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 17:18:47 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> The thing you GPL fanbois refuse to understand or accept is that, in the
> real world, a person or company who doesn't want to open source their
> "derivative work" will only rarely be forced to by the GPL. They'll work
> around it instead, vast majority of the time. They could:
>
> 1. Derive their work from a project with a license that grants the user
> more freedom
> 2. Reimplment the functionality seperately (*cough* PySide)

Yes. So what? In what possible way is this an argument against the GPL?

If I offer to mow your lawn for $20, and you refuse, I don't have to
force my services onto you. You can mow your lawn yourself, or find
somebody who will do it for $10, or find some kind generous soul who will
do it for free under an MIT licence.

If you don't want the obligations of the GPL, nobody is going to force
you to distribute or derive from the GPLed software. If you're not
willing to meet my conditions to use my software, then I don't want you
using my software. Go write your own, or find somebody else who will do
it for a fee, or for free. What you see as a disadvantage of the GPL is a
feature, not a bug.

You seem to be under the impression that the only public good developers
should care about is maximising the number of people who create
derivative works from your project. That's obviously not so in the real
world, where vast numbers of developers release software under closed-
source licences, or don't release it to the public at all, and it's
certainly not the case for people who use the GPL. The FSF even has a FAQ
about that exact point.

> 3. Ignore the license

This is a crime under copyright law, and there have been many instances
of companies who thought they could ignore the GPL learning different.

--
Steven
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 19:10:09 -0700, Patrick Maupin wrote:

> The broken window fallacy is about labor that could have been spent
> elsewhere if someone else had done something differently. The only time
> that comes into play in my programming life is when I have to recode
> something that is nominally available under the GPL, so I'm not sure
> this is really making the point you think it is.

You've never had to recode something because it was nominally available
under a proprietary licence that you (or your client) was unwilling to
use? Lucky you!

The GPL ensures that once software has entered the commons (and therefore
available for all), it can never be removed from the commons. The MIT
licence does not. Now, you might argue that in practice once software is
released under an MIT licence, it is unlikely to ever disappear from the
commons. Well, perhaps, but if so, that's despite and not because of the
licence.

In practice, I believe most MIT-licenced code never even makes it into
the commons in the first place. I'm willing to predict that the majority
of code you've written for paying customers (as opposed to specifically
for open source projects) has disappeared into their code base, never to
be seen by anyone outside of the company. Am I right?

--
Steven
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <2ff3643b-6ef1-4471-8438-
dcba0dc93c24(a)a21g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>, Patrick Maupin wrote:

> On May 13, 10:04 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> In message <mailman.142.1273767256.32709.python-l...(a)python.org>, Ed
>> Keith wrote:
>>
>>> The claim is being made that [the GPL] restricts freedom.
>>
>> What about the “freedom” to restrict other people's freedom? Should that
>> be restricted or not?
>
> It's interesting that some people don't like the comparison of the
> Free Software movement to a religion, yet the main argument of the
> movement, and the deliberate co-opting of words like "Free" and "Free
> Software" ...

Haven't you “co-opted” those words yourself?
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message
<2b17ee77-0e49-4a97-994c-7582f86c0ba9(a)r34g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, Patrick
Maupin wrote:

> On May 13, 10:06 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
> <ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>
>> Under the GPL, everybody has exactly the same freedoms.
>
> That's absolutely not true. For a start, the original author can dual-
> license.

That's nothing to do with the GPL.
From: Paul Boddie on
On 13 Mai, 22:10, Patrick Maupin <pmau...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Just to deal with your Ubuntu "high horse" situation first, you should
take a look at the following for what people regard to be the best
practices around GPL-licensed software distribution:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html

If you still think Ubuntu are violating the GPL or encouraging others
to do so, feel free to contact their lawyers who I'm sure will be very
interested to hear from you.

> When the leader of your religion bandies terms like "freedom" and
> "evil" about, what do you expect?  Seriously?

I thought you were "done". I guess you are: again, we have the usual
courting of public outrage by labelling stuff you don't like as
"religion" - presumably not the "right one", either - when it is no
such thing.

[...]

> My primary agenda is to explain that RMS does, in fact, have an
> agenda, and the GPL was designed as a tool in furtherance of that
> agenda, and that while the agenda does have some arguably noble goals,
> before using the GPL people should understand its consequences both
> for good and bad, and make their own determination about whether it's
> the right license for their project.

Reading through your "translations" of what are effectively honest
summaries, one gets the impression that you have quite a chip on your
shoulder about the FSF and RMS. Referring to the GPL as a "commercial"
licence and stating that it (as opposed to any other licence or even
the word "copyright" followed by a name) is a threat to sue people,
presumably appealing to the libertarian crowd with a judicious mention
of "government" just to fan the flames of supposed injustice, really
does triangulate where you are coming from. So, yes, we're now rather
more aware of what your agenda is, I think.

And I don't think it improves any argument you may have by projecting
notions of "morality" or "immorality" onto what I have written,
especially when I have deliberately chosen to use other terms which
avoid involving such notions, or by equating the copyleft licences
with criminal enterprises ("pyramid scheme"), or by suggesting that I
endorse criminal endeavours. But if that's what you have left to say
at this point, then I think you probably are "done".

Paul