From: Antti Lukats on
"Claude Sylvain" <claudesylvain(a)sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> "Antti Lukats" <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote in message
>> "Claude Sylvain" <claudesylvain(a)sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> the timing is in SVF file if you look at it :)
>> converting BIT to SVF makes real LARGE files,
>> you are better to convert to XSVF, or depending your
>> application just look at the SVF and implement the logic from there
>> it isnt so complicated. most of the problems I had were related to
>> special features of the XCF08P (parallel mode options) for XCF02s
>> there should not be much magic required
>>
>> Antti
>>

> Maybe the simpliest way to get the job done is to make a .svf file
> converter that convert a .svf file (that describe JTAG operation to
> program a PROM) in term of PROM row content; and use the row programming
> algorythm included in xapp544 to program each PROM row.
>
> This way the file that hold PROM information to program appear exactly the
> same as a "standard" EPROM file that can be in S-Record or Intel Hex
> format. This kind of file can be easily uploaded from an host computer to
> the Microblaze CPU.
>

> Claude Sylvain
> Electro-Technica inc.

there is no need for that, just program the .BIT file into the PROM, then
write your own data after the bitstream data, no need to convert to svf

antti

From: Claude Sylvain on

> "Claude Sylvain" <claudesylvain(a)sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Maybe the simpliest way to get the job done is to make a .svf file converter
>> that convert a .svf file (that describe JTAG operation to program a PROM) in
>> term of PROM row content; and use the row programming algorythm included in
>> xapp544 to program each PROM row.
>>
>> This way the file that hold PROM information to program appear exactly the
>> same as a "standard" EPROM file that can be in S-Record or Intel Hex format.
>> This kind of file can be easily uploaded from an host computer to the
>> Microblaze CPU.
>>

>> Claude Sylvain
>> Electro-Technica inc.
>>

> there is no need for that, just program the .BIT file into the PROM, then
> write your own data after the bitstream data, no need to convert to svf
>
> antti

Oh! ok.

So simple, that I forgot that it can be done like that.

But it is not really the truth. Some days ago, I read the first row on an
XCF02S PROM, using xapp544 source code, and compare the values with the one
found in the corresponding "download.bit" file. Unfortunately, the values did
not match. Meaning that the "download.bit" file did not contain the "memory
equivalent" of the PROM.

Maybe I done something wrong when doing this test !?
Maybe some simple translation have to be made. Like inverting row bits, or
something like that.

I will look for that.

Thank you again.

Claude Sylvain
Electro-Technica inc.

From: Antti Lukats on

> "Antti Lukats" <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote in message
>> "Claude Sylvain" <claudesylvain(a)sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>
>>> Maybe the simpliest way to get the job done is to make a .svf file
>>> converter that convert a .svf file (that describe JTAG operation to
>>> program a PROM) in term of PROM row content; and use the row programming
>>> algorythm included in xapp544 to program each PROM row.
>>>
>>> This way the file that hold PROM information to program appear exactly
>>> the same as a "standard" EPROM file that can be in S-Record or Intel Hex
>>> format. This kind of file can be easily uploaded from an host computer
>>> to the Microblaze CPU.
>>>

>>> Claude Sylvain
>>> Electro-Technica inc.
>>>

>> there is no need for that, just program the .BIT file into the PROM, then
>> write your own data after the bitstream data, no need to convert to svf
>>
>> antti
>>
> Oh! ok.
>
> So simple, that I forgot that it can be done like that.
>
> But it is not really the truth. Some days ago, I read the first row on an
> XCF02S PROM, using xapp544 source code, and compare the values with the
> one found in the corresponding "download.bit" file. Unfortunately, the
> values did not match. Meaning that the "download.bit" file did not
> contain the "memory equivalent" of the PROM.
>
> Maybe I done something wrong when doing this test !?
> Maybe some simple translation have to be made. Like inverting row bits,
> or something like that.
>
> I will look for that.
>

> Thank you again.
>
> Claude Sylvain
> Electro-Technica inc.

if you read first locations - raw data !! out of xcf0xs that holds a valid
bitstream
then you must see
ff ff ff ff 99 66 aa 55
or something alike the bit order may be reversed in the bytes

I said .bit file, well a bit file can be programmed as is, eg included the
text header
as it want hurt, but you may strip anything before the ff ff ff ff <

xapp544 tries to use the free platform flash area as read-write eeprom so it
adds some special flags to rows to mark then free or dirty,
if you are looking for bitstream data then you need to check the plain raw
readback
data from platform flash, it really really does containt the bitstream with
no magic
applied, you can consider the platfrom flash as normal serial memory that
can
be read and written using custom jtag instructions

antti

From: Claude Sylvain on
> "Claude Sylvain" <claudesylvain(a)sympatico.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
> if you read first locations - raw data !! out of xcf0xs that holds a valid
> bitstream
> then you must see
> ff ff ff ff 99 66 aa 55
> or something alike the bit order may be reversed in the bytes
>
> I said .bit file, well a bit file can be programmed as is, eg included the
> text header
> as it want hurt, but you may strip anything before the ff ff ff ff <
>
> xapp544 tries to use the free platform flash area as read-write eeprom so
> it
> adds some special flags to rows to mark then free or dirty,
> if you are looking for bitstream data then you need to check the plain raw
> readback
> data from platform flash, it really really does containt the bitstream
> with no magic
> applied, you can consider the platfrom flash as normal serial memory that
> can
> be read and written using custom jtag instructions
>
> antti

Interresting.

So, my first try will be to program the .bit file content directly into the
PROM.
Further more, maybe I will try to remove unnecessary informations from the
..bit file before programming it into the PROM.

Thank you.

Claude Sylvain
Electro-Technica inc.