From: JimL on
I can play commercial movie DVD's on my XP Pro SP3, but it sees nothing on
DVD's I have recorded. Both Windows Media and RealPlayer say I need
decoders or something like that. The recorder/player (Toshiba) plays them,
of course. Is this just a case of Toshiba trying to capture a market by
making their recordings play on nothing but a Toshiba?

JimL

From: Tom Willett on

"JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
:
: of course. Is this just a case of Toshiba trying to capture a market by
: making their recordings play on nothing but a Toshiba?

No, it's not.
:
:

From: LVTravel on

"JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
> I can play commercial movie DVD's on my XP Pro SP3, but it sees nothing on
> DVD's I have recorded. Both Windows Media and RealPlayer say I need
> decoders or something like that. The recorder/player (Toshiba) plays
> them, of course. Is this just a case of Toshiba trying to capture a
> market by making their recordings play on nothing but a Toshiba?
>
> JimL

What program and method are you using to publish the movie to the DVD media?
Therein lies your answer but without knowing the answer we can't help you.

If you open your created DVD in Windows Explorer, you should see at least
one folder called Video_TS and also maybe one Audio_TS. Without the
Video_TS folder you don't have a proper Video DVD.

From: JimL on

"LVTravel" <none(a)nothere.com> wrote in message

> "JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
>> I can play commercial movie DVD's on my XP Pro SP3, but it sees nothing
>> on DVD's I have recorded. Both Windows Media and RealPlayer say I need
>> decoders or something like that. The recorder/player (Toshiba) plays
>> them, of course. Is this just a case of Toshiba trying to capture a
>> market by making their recordings play on nothing but a Toshiba?
>>
>> JimL
>>

> What program and method are you using to publish the movie to the DVD
> media? Therein lies your answer but without knowing the answer we can't
> help you.
>
> If you open your created DVD in Windows Explorer, you should see at least
> one folder called Video_TS and also maybe one Audio_TS. Without the
> Video_TS folder you don't have a proper Video DVD.

As I mentioned in the question, "their [Toshiba's] recordings..." I record
them on "The recorder/player (Toshiba)." I didn't even know there was a way
to record shows using a computer. Otherwise I would have said I record them
on the recorder.

JimL

From: LVTravel on

> "LVTravel" <none(a)nothere.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "JimL" <invalid(a)invalid.inv> wrote in message
>>> I can play commercial movie DVD's on my XP Pro SP3, but it sees nothing
>>> on DVD's I have recorded. Both Windows Media and RealPlayer say I need
>>> decoders or something like that. The recorder/player (Toshiba) plays
>>> them, of course. Is this just a case of Toshiba trying to capture a
>>> market by making their recordings play on nothing but a Toshiba?
>>>
>>> JimL
>>>

>> What program and method are you using to publish the movie to the DVD
>> media? Therein lies your answer but without knowing the answer we can't
>> help you.
>>
>> If you open your created DVD in Windows Explorer, you should see at least
>> one folder called Video_TS and also maybe one Audio_TS. Without the
>> Video_TS folder you don't have a proper Video DVD.
>

> As I mentioned in the question, "their [Toshiba's] recordings..." I
> record them on "The recorder/player (Toshiba)." I didn't even know there
> was a way to record shows using a computer. Otherwise I would have said I
> record them on the recorder.
>
> JimL

Well you are on a computer newsgroup with Windows XP in the title. Toshiba
makes DVD drives for computers so one can only speculate.

As for your issue, it may depend totally on the type of recording the
Toshiba stand-alone machine makes, what kind of disc you are using and if
the video has been finalized by the recorder. If it hasn't been finalized
then you can't play it on any other machine, other than another Toshiba
stand-alone device.

If you are going to use the disc on a computer then you need to ensure that
you are using a DVD+ or - R or a DVD + or -RW disk that has been finalized.
You can not use a DVD RAM disc and there are other formats that some
stand-alone recorders create that can't be played on anything else. I have
a Magnavox like that.

Have you attempted to look at the disc in Windows Explorer to see if the
folder is there as I mentioned in my original reply? If it shows as a blank
disc or not properly formatted disc when you attempt to view it's contents I
would suspect that the disc was not finalized.