From: Spamlet on

"Eddie" <albert(a)greenacres.far> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> The problem isnt mine, I am helping a friend.
>
> When he puts in a dvd it takes forever for it to find a program with which
> to associate itself, but does bring up a dialogue with options eventually.
> We choose the VLC player because at least that one allows it to work, the
> other options dont. (windows players and another couple.)
>
> The problem is that the sound either plays slow (out of sinc) or it speeds
> up and sounds like the chipmunks etc. After a very short while the DVD
> player ejects the CD and he is back to start point again.
>
> His system is:
> AMD ATHLON 64 processor; 3000plus MMX now 2.0Ghz
> NVidiaGeForce 7600GT with 256Ram
> 1Gig DDR ram.
> XP(not sure whether home or pro)
>
> He is a motor mechanic and his CD's/DVD's get filthy with his finger
> marks....(yes, I have berated him on many many occasions.) but on this
> occasion I found a couple that were reasonable and worked fine on his
> telly via his lounge dvd player.
>
> Any one got any ideas? Codecs maybe?
>
> Ed

Not wishing to butt in too much on the flow of advice, but if this guy is
putting dirty dvds/cds in his pc drive. I would imagine it might benefit
from a clean up. Also, some drives don't like some discs. I had a whole
stack of 100 verbatims that, for some reason, skidded in our Sony DVDR, and
were turned into coasters, but recorded ok on other devices.

I bought a Phillips DVDR drive for our pc a couple of years ago. It didn't
come with any software, and I've been using VLC quite successfully. One odd
thing - that I never have worked out - is that Explorer never shows anything
on a disc, until Windows Media Player has 'had a look at it'. A puzzle, but
no great deal to open WMP and then switch to VLC once the files are visible.

From: - Bobb - on

"Spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Eddie" <albert(a)greenacres.far> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The problem isnt mine, I am helping a friend.
>>
>> When he puts in a dvd it takes forever for it to find a program with
>> which to associate itself, but does bring up a dialogue with options
>> eventually.
>> We choose the VLC player because at least that one allows it to work, the
>> other options dont. (windows players and another couple.)
>>
>> The problem is that the sound either plays slow (out of sinc) or it
>> speeds up and sounds like the chipmunks etc. After a very short while
>> the DVD player ejects the CD and he is back to start point again.
>>
>> His system is:
>> AMD ATHLON 64 processor; 3000plus MMX now 2.0Ghz
>> NVidiaGeForce 7600GT with 256Ram
>> 1Gig DDR ram.
>> XP(not sure whether home or pro)
>>
>> He is a motor mechanic and his CD's/DVD's get filthy with his finger
>> marks....(yes, I have berated him on many many occasions.) but on this
>> occasion I found a couple that were reasonable and worked fine on his
>> telly via his lounge dvd player.
>>
>> Any one got any ideas? Codecs maybe?
>>
>> Ed
>
> Not wishing to butt in too much on the flow of advice, but if this guy is
> putting dirty dvds/cds in his pc drive. I would imagine it might benefit
> from a clean up. Also, some drives don't like some discs. I had a whole
> stack of 100 verbatims that, for some reason, skidded in our Sony DVDR,
> and were turned into coasters, but recorded ok on other devices.
>
> I bought a Phillips DVDR drive for our pc a couple of years ago. It
> didn't come with any software, and I've been using VLC quite successfully.
> One odd thing - that I never have worked out - is that Explorer never
> shows anything on a disc, until Windows Media Player has 'had a look at
> it'. A puzzle, but no great deal to open WMP and then switch to VLC once
> the files are visible.

I'd always gotten some software when I bought a DVD / Cd burner, but if you
need one, here's a email from 'computer newsgroup" CDburnerxp works fine for
a friend of mine.

try CD Burner XP
--------------------
CDBurnerXP is a free application to burn CDs and DVDs, including
Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs. It also includes the feature to burn and create
ISOs, as well as a multilanguage interface. Everyone, even companies,
can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious
components.

Main Website
http://cdburnerxp.se/

Download Link
http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

Help File
http://cdburnerxp.se/help/

ImgBurn
------------
ImgBurn supports a wide range of image file formats - including BIN,
CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI.
It can burn Audio CD's from any file type supported via DirectShow /
ACM - including AAC, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MP4, MPC, OGG, PCM, WAV, WMA
and WV.
You can use it to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder), HD
DVD Video discs (from a HVDVD_TS folder) and Blu-ray Video discs (from
a BDAV / BDMV folder) with ease.

Main Website
http://www.imgburn.com/

Download Link
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Help File
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=guides

From: Spamlet on

"- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message

> [...]
> can use it for free. It does not include adware or similar malicious
> components.
>
> Main Website
> http://cdburnerxp.se/
>
> Download Link
> http://cdburnerxp.se/en/download
>
> Help File
> http://cdburnerxp.se/help/
>

> ImgBurn
> ------------
> ImgBurn supports a wide range of image file formats - including BIN,
> CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI.
> It can burn Audio CD's from any file type supported via DirectShow /
> ACM - including AAC, APE, FLAC, M4A, MP3, MP4, MPC, OGG, PCM, WAV, WMA
> and WV.
> You can use it to build DVD Video discs (from a VIDEO_TS folder), HD
> DVD Video discs (from a HVDVD_TS folder) and Blu-ray Video discs (from

Thanks for the links. I think I did download CDBurnerXP now you mention it,
along with various other things for stripping sound from 'radio' dvd
recordings to convert to mp3 on the pc. (Then a lot of the impetus behind
this was lost when the BBC started making more podcasts available.) Haven't
actually found the time to do much with it lately so I'm a bit rusty on
what's what, and my involvement tends to occur only when my partner is
trying to get something to play properly.

As I noted, the curious thing is why WMP can see tracks but Explorer can't
until WMP sees them first.
Still I've asked about that before and I shouldn't be stealing this thread
with it, so

Cheers,