From: drscrypt on
To follow up on a recent thread on problems with the smtp package, the
removal of Trf has not fully resolved the issue. It seems that the
problem with sending large email messages still persist - and seems
almost random except for the size of the messages. By large, I do not
mean megabytes but around 10K.

I have spent the last few days trying to resolve this, again. I thought
stuff in tcllib were relatively safe and actively maintained by the TCT.
Is that not the case? Should something as fundamental as smtp be
suffering from bugs like this?

DrS

From: Uwe Klein on
drscrypt(a)gmail.com wrote:
> To follow up on a recent thread on problems with the smtp package, the
> removal of Trf has not fully resolved the issue. It seems that the
> problem with sending large email messages still persist - and seems
> almost random except for the size of the messages. By large, I do not
> mean megabytes but around 10K.
>
> I have spent the last few days trying to resolve this, again. I thought
> stuff in tcllib were relatively safe and actively maintained by the TCT.
> Is that not the case? Should something as fundamental as smtp be
> suffering from bugs like this?

Are you working/testing against the same receiving MTA?

uwe
From: drscrypt on
On 7/7/2010 11:04 AM, Uwe Klein wrote:

> Are you working/testing against the same receiving MTA?
>
> uwe

Yes, I use my yahoo account to send myself reports. (It is a paid yahoo
account that comes with sending/receiving servers.)

DrS
From: Uwe Klein on
drscrypt(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On 7/7/2010 11:04 AM, Uwe Klein wrote:
>
>> Are you working/testing against the same receiving MTA?
>>
>> uwe
>

> Yes, I use my yahoo account to send myself reports. (It is a paid yahoo
> account that comes with sending/receiving servers.)

Any chances to test against some other breed?

uwe
From: Gerald W. Lester on
drscrypt(a)gmail.com wrote:
> To follow up on a recent thread on problems with the smtp package, the
> removal of Trf has not fully resolved the issue. It seems that the
> problem with sending large email messages still persist - and seems
> almost random except for the size of the messages. By large, I do not
> mean megabytes but around 10K.
>
> I have spent the last few days trying to resolve this, again. I thought
> stuff in tcllib were relatively safe and actively maintained by the TCT.
> Is that not the case? Should something as fundamental as smtp be
> suffering from bugs like this?

The TCT does not maintain TclLib, the TCT oversees Tcl Core development (but
does not do it all).

Your reports have been the first against smtp in *years*.

When your initial report came in, I verified (using gmail.com and cox.net)
that I could send a fairly large attachments using 8.5 and 8.6.

As Uwe Klein suggest, in this thread and several of us in your previous
thread, try against another MTA -- I think several of us suspect the fault
lies in the MTA or your connection.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald.Lester(a)kng-consulting.net |
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: canvas $pathname -wrap 1
Next: An expanding tablelist