From: Carl K on
OK... I need a difinitive fix for this...

I can take any new PC coming into our business rebuild it from the ground up
with XP w/SP1 and the first time I go to WindowsUpdates I'll install the
updated software, and when I try to proceed, the Installation of BITS 2.0
will fail. So... I'll install it manually using KB842773.

Then, I'll reboot and go right back to WindowsUpdate and will get 0x80072F78.

What doesn't work:
1. Any of the suggestions in KB836985
2. KB838893
3. If I try to run KB871260, I get an error that I must be on IE6 with SP1
(which I am)

I am running (and only running):
- Windows XP with Service Pack 1
- IE6 ver 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.040919-1003 with 128 bit cipher and SP1 and
Q823353 updates

What does work, but I have to do EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO TO WindowsUpdate.
- Stop the automatic updates service
- Delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
- Restart the Automatic Updates Service.

Let me reiterate... this works once... if I install something from WU, the
next time I visit, I'll get 0x80072F78 and have to repeat the above
process... so I wouldn't categorize this as a fix.

Please... once and for all, can we get a permanent resolution to this?!
From: Pat Walters [MSFT] on
"Carl K"

I am sorry you are running into this issue. The problem here is that the
database is being corrupted *after* one single install of Windows Update,
and this happens again and again on your system. We have identified several
3rd party applications that cause this error, but essentially this is what
happens:

1. You delete the SoftwareDistribution folder
2. You successfully install from Windows Update
3. As Windows Update writes to the database the outcome of the installation,
a 3rd party application corrupts this entry.

then...

4. You attempt to contact WindowsUpdate again.
5. You scan for updates and everything is ok, so far.
6. You start to install updates, and fail.
7. You check the log, and get an error such as 80072F78.
This happens because while scanning for the updates your machine needs, it
forms a header in HTTP to perform a GET request. This request does not make
it to the appropriate destination in Windows Update, because the corrupted
entry becomes part of that header.

Try the following potential identification procedure:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type: msconfig
4. Type <Enter> or click OK
5. When this window opens, click on the Services tab.
6. Check the checkbox at the bottom: "Hide all Microsoft Services"
7. Please DO leave checked any antivirus software you might be running.
8. Uncheck all software other than antivirus (this is ONLY for a test, so
there will be no need for a firewall other than Windows Firewall, as you
will only be visiting the Windows Update website during this period)
9. Click OK, but do not reboot immediately.
10. Go in and delete the SoftwareDistribution folder in the %windir%
directory.
a. Click Start
b. Click Run
c. Type: cmd
d. Type <Enter> or click OK
e. When the command prompt opens, within it type: cd %windir% <Enter>
f. Type: net stop wuauserv <Enter>. Wait for automatic updates
service to stop
g. Type: rd /s /q SoftwareDistribution <Enter>
h. Type: exit <Enter>
11. Please go to the Windows Update website an install a single update. We
will assume this succeeds.
12. Reboot the machine.
13. After reboot, all services other than Microsoft and the antivirus should
be turned off.
14. Please try Windows Update again, and see if you can install an update or
not.

Please let us know the results of that attempt. If it fails, do you get the
same error?

15. If successful, repeat steps 1-6 and take a good look at the services
that are unchecked at present. Start turning them on one at a time,
rebooting, and trying to install updates.

Let us know what the results of this are as well.

Sincerely,

Pat Walters [MSFT]