From: TTLux on

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TTLux" <TTLux(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please see this post in .NET setup forum for details:
> > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxsetup/thread/e5067cb6-e5d1-44ab-a2df-33b52e79366f?prof=required
> >
> > I've been trying to install VS 2010 on my Vista laptop for weeks. It
> > fails
> > during .NET v4.0 install with the following error:
> > Exe (C:\9e4eb1a408d61dd8118c98e39082f9\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x86.msu)
> > failed with 0x80040154 - Class not registered .
>

> What is your objective? To install the update or to make the way you are
> doing it work?
>

> > I've taken many troubleshooting steps to try to resolve; most are listed
> > in
> > above forum link.
> >
> > Please let me know if you need more info.
> > Thank you.
>

> Try installing it manually? If you try that you will have the opportunity
> to get much better diagnostics if it still fails.
>
> BTW if you do it that way, it will then be independent of WU so you could
> then go back to the people who know more about .NET to ask for their help
> again. <EG>
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Thanks for the reply Robert.

My objective is to get VS 2010 installed, period. The problem is this
particular Win Update (KB956250), which is part of the .NET Framework 4.0
install, fails no matter how I try to install it.

Install what manually? The Win Update? I would if I knew how. I've run
the WUSA command from command line, but it fails there too. I just did a
search and MS has a KB page for the 956250 update now (no KB reference
existed before a couple days ago). This package still fails to install with
the same error.

Can you tell me how to install the update manually, if that's what you meant?
Many thanks.
-T