From: Dmitry Bond. on
Hi.

Before providing new release of our product to a customer I would like
to test it in the conditions it could face on a production
environment. So, I'm thinking how to create/configure a high-
availability cluster of 2 Linux/Oracle VMs.

Thus, as a source we have:
1) VmWare VirtualMachine with CentOS Linux 5.4 x86 and Oracle 11.2
Enterprise installed on it. Static IP=192.168.18.91,
hostname=centosvm01.
2) the same VirtualMachine created as a copy of 1st one with only the
diff = Static IP=192.168.18.92, hostname=centosvm02.
Note: if need more than 2 VMs for such task - ok, I'm ready to create
one more. :)

Both VMs are working fine - ping, tnsping, connectivity from client
computers - all working ok. I have checked that Oracle on both VMs is
up and running after 2nd VM was created as a clone of 1st VM.

The question is - what is next?!
How to put these 2 VMs into a high-availability cluster?

I mean - the Oracle database high-availability cluster, so I expect
that client computers (also - some application on cluster nodes)
connect Oracle database using the clustrer IP address, if one node
shutdown client applications continue working and do not know anything
about problems with particular node, when node is up and running again
it has up-to-date data in a database.

I have browsed lot of resources in the internet but still have not
found any description of concrete steps what to do setup/configure to
have a high-availability cluster.
According to a resources I have read the Oracle 11.2 should be able to
do it, seems it should have all required components included but ..
how?! :-)

Please help me.
Would be nice to see something like a "Oracle H/A Cluster QuickStart
Guide", etc.

Regards,
Dmitry.

PS. In couple of month customer going to buy a new Linux/Oracle H/W.
But "couple of month" that is quite a long and undefined term and we
cannot wait. We need some H/A cluster to test our software just now!
From: Steve Howard on
On Jul 3, 3:02 am, "Dmitry Bond." <dima_...(a)ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Before providing new release of our product to a customer I would like
> to test it in the conditions it could  face on a production
> environment. So, I'm thinking how to create/configure a high-
> availability cluster of 2 Linux/Oracle VMs.
>
> Thus, as a source we have:
> 1) VmWare VirtualMachine with CentOS Linux 5.4 x86 and Oracle 11.2
> Enterprise installed on it. Static IP=192.168.18.91,
> hostname=centosvm01.
> 2) the same VirtualMachine created as a copy of 1st one with only the
> diff = Static IP=192.168.18.92, hostname=centosvm02.
> Note: if need more than 2 VMs for such task - ok, I'm ready to create
> one more. :)
>
> Both VMs are working fine - ping, tnsping, connectivity from client
> computers - all working ok. I have checked that Oracle on both VMs is
> up and running after 2nd VM was created as a clone of 1st VM.
>
> The question is - what is next?!
> How to put these 2 VMs into a high-availability cluster?
>
> I mean - the Oracle database high-availability cluster, so I expect
> that client computers (also - some application on cluster nodes)
> connect Oracle database using the clustrer IP address, if one node
> shutdown client applications continue working and do not know anything
> about problems with particular node, when node is up and running again
> it has up-to-date data in a database.
>
> I have browsed lot of resources in the internet but still have not
> found any description of concrete steps what to do setup/configure to
> have a high-availability cluster.
> According to a resources I have read the Oracle 11.2 should be able to
> do it, seems it should have all required components included but ..
> how?! :-)
>
> Please help me.
> Would be nice to see something like a "Oracle H/A Cluster QuickStart
> Guide", etc.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry.
>
> PS. In couple of month customer going to buy a new Linux/Oracle H/W.
> But "couple of month" that is quite a long and undefined term and we
> cannot wait. We need some H/A cluster to test our software just now!

I don't know if Oracle now supports their database on their own VM,
but it sounds like you are describing a need that may be solved with
Oracle RAC.
From: BicycleRepairman on
On Jul 3, 5:13 pm, Steve Howard <stevedhow...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 3:02 am, "Dmitry Bond." <dima_...(a)ukr.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi.
>
> > Before providing new release of our product to a customer I would like
> > to test it in the conditions it could  face on a production
> > environment. So, I'm thinking how to create/configure a high-
> > availability cluster of 2 Linux/Oracle VMs.

> I don't know if Oracle now supports their database on their own VM,
> but it sounds like you are describing a need that may be solved with
> Oracle RAC.

Take a look at:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/wartak-rac-vm.html
The article uses different (but free) VM and OS, but you should be
able to steal the concepts and apply them to your case.

Pages: 1
Prev: Impdp - Full Database
Next: Energy Saving Tips