From: Mike van der Merwe on
Also posted in microsoft.public.basics

Hi !

Please help with a strange happening

Running Win XP Pro sp3 and all updates

When I close down XP at night (or at any time), the computer closes all the
programs and shuts down

When I restart the computer again. It will boot OK

Giving me the usual desktop with icons as well as everything in the task bar

I can move the cursor around the desktop but when I double click on a icon
nothing happens

Also I can not get any of the icons on the taskbar to work

But I have found out that if I "boot" into "safe mode" and go to a "restore
point"

Everything comes right except that I loose any settings I have made after
the restore point (understood)

To overcome this I have to create a restore point before shutting down

When I start the computer I have to start in safe made and boot to the last
restore point

I have run sfc. /scannow

Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool

Malware Bytes Anti-malware

Ad-Aware

Ad-Watch

Super Anti-Spyware

Loaris Trojan Remover

ESET Anti-Virus

C Cleaner among others

All coming up clean

Looks as if the computer is not shutting down as it should

Any suggestion

TIA

From: Alias on
Mike van der Merwe wrote:
> Also posted in microsoft.public.basics
>
> Hi !
>
> Please help with a strange happening
>
> Running Win XP Pro sp3 and all updates
>
> When I close down XP at night (or at any time), the computer closes all the
> programs and shuts down
>
> When I restart the computer again. It will boot OK
>
> Giving me the usual desktop with icons as well as everything in the task bar
>
> I can move the cursor around the desktop but when I double click on a icon
> nothing happens
>
> Also I can not get any of the icons on the taskbar to work
>
> But I have found out that if I "boot" into "safe mode" and go to a "restore
> point"
>
> Everything comes right except that I loose any settings I have made after
> the restore point (understood)
>
> To overcome this I have to create a restore point before shutting down
>
> When I start the computer I have to start in safe made and boot to the last
> restore point
>
> I have run sfc. /scannow
>
> Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool
>
> Malware Bytes Anti-malware
>
> Ad-Aware
>
> Ad-Watch
>
> Super Anti-Spyware
>
> Loaris Trojan Remover
>
> ESET Anti-Virus
>
> C Cleaner among others
>
> All coming up clean
>
> Looks as if the computer is not shutting down as it should
>
> Any suggestion
>
> TIA

What happens if you close all your programs before shutting down?

--
Alias
From: Mike van der Merwe on
Thanks for the reply

All running programs are closed

Or are you talking about the ones on the right and left of the toolbar

Mike

From: Alias on
Mike van der Merwe wrote:
> Thanks for the reply
>
> All running programs are closed
>
> Or are you talking about the ones on the right and left of the toolbar
>
> Mike

No, the running programs. I don't know what to tell you, then, sorry.

--
Alias
From: Twayne on
In news:zMydnXF79LJpnZ3RnZ2dnUVZ8uWdnZ2d(a)saix.net,
Mike van der Merwe <michaelvdm(a)telkomsa.net> typed:
> Also posted in microsoft.public.basics
>
> Hi !
>
> Please help with a strange happening
>
> Running Win XP Pro sp3 and all updates
>
> When I close down XP at night (or at any time), the
> computer closes all the programs and shuts down
>
> When I restart the computer again. It will boot OK
>
> Giving me the usual desktop with icons as well as
> everything in the task bar
> I can move the cursor around the desktop but when I double
> click on a icon nothing happens
>
> Also I can not get any of the icons on the taskbar to work
>
> But I have found out that if I "boot" into "safe mode" and
> go to a "restore point"
>
> Everything comes right except that I loose any settings I
> have made after the restore point (understood)
>
> To overcome this I have to create a restore point before
> shutting down
> When I start the computer I have to start in safe made and
> boot to the last restore point
>
> I have run sfc. /scannow
>
> Microsoft Malicious Removal
> Tool
> Malware Bytes Anti-malware
>
> Ad-Aware
>
> Ad-Watch
>
> Super Anti-Spyware
>
> Loaris Trojan Remover
>
> ESET Anti-Virus
>
> C Cleaner among others
>
> All coming up clean
>
> Looks as if the computer is not shutting down as it should
>
> Any suggestion
>
> TIA

Look for a program called UPHclean. I -think- it was a Sysinternals so it'd
now be available from MS IIRC. Sometimes things go wrong at shutdown and
this can help straighten them out.
Anohter possibility, but a long shot of sorts, is to look for & run
ntregopt. It will optimize (without changing the registry) the loading
functions of the registry load. Perhaps between the two you would get some
results.

Read about & download UPHclean:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en

http://majorgeeks.com/NTREGOPT_d4824.html