From: Mike van der Merwe on
Also posted in microsoft.public.general

Hi !

Please help with a strange happening

Running Win XP Pro sp3 and all updates

When I close down XP at night (or at any time), the computer closes all the
programs and shuts down

When I restart the computer again. It will boot OK

Giving me the usual desktop with icons as well as everything in the task bar

I can move the cursor around the desktop but when I double click on a icon
nothing happens

Also I can not get any of the icons on the taskbar to work

But I have found out that if I "boot" into "safe mode" and go to a "restore
point"

Everything comes right except that I loose any settings I have made after
the restore point (understood)

To overcome this I have to create a restore point before shutting down

When I start the computer I have to start in safe made and boot to the last
restore point

I have run sfc. /scannow

Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool

Malware Bytes Anti-malware

Ad-Aware

Ad-Watch

Super Anti-Spyware

Loaris Trojan Remover

ESET Anti-Virus

C Cleaner among others

All coming up clean

Looks as if the computer is not shutting down as it should

Any suggestion

TIA

From: Ǝиçεl on
Mike,

Read this article, then download and install the tool. It may be what's
going on with your PC.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en>
-=-