From: "Dallas" Jagged on
good day to all,

last night, thursday, i started to get these pop up "warnings" from my
alleged anti virus/anti spyware, so i figured it was the phony pop ups that
wanted to me to click yes; i never did, but, anytime i tried to open my own
security programs, explorer, or any folder, it would open briefly, then
close & another pop up would surface.

i have a quick scan run every morning, using mse, i run a full scan w/ mse,
once every 1-2 weeks, i keep spyware blaster updated & run ccleaner often.

i could not log off last night, via start menu, so i shut it down from the
tower.

i started it this morning & same thing, so i restarted it, via safe mode &
restored to wed. when all was fine.

now, i ran the mse quick scan after logging in the safe mode, no threats
were found.

so, 1, do i just keep running in the restored mode, or do i try & find the
virus ?

thanks for any/all, ia

--
Dallas.....

Dell P 4, 3GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 160 GB, Win XP HomeSP3, WMP11,
16X DVD-ROM & ,6X DVD+/RW, IE8, OE6, DSL, via AT&T. I use these on a regular
basis: MSE, Spyware Blaster, Ccleaner

From: Bruce Hagen on

"Dallas" <Jagged Edge(a)StillIStruggle> wrote in message
> good day to all,
>
> last night, thursday, i started to get these pop up "warnings" from my
> alleged anti virus/anti spyware, so i figured it was the phony pop ups
> that wanted to me to click yes; i never did, but, anytime i tried to
> open my own security programs, explorer, or any folder, it would open
> briefly, then close & another pop up would surface.
>
> i have a quick scan run every morning, using mse, i run a full scan w/
> mse, once every 1-2 weeks, i keep spyware blaster updated & run ccleaner
> often.
>
> i could not log off last night, via start menu, so i shut it down from
> the tower.
>
> i started it this morning & same thing, so i restarted it, via safe mode
> & restored to wed. when all was fine.
>
> now, i ran the mse quick scan after logging in the safe mode, no threats
> were found.
>
> so, 1, do i just keep running in the restored mode, or do i try & find
> the virus ?
>
> thanks for any/all, ia
>
> --
> Dallas.....
>
> Dell P 4, 3GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, 160 GB, Win XP HomeSP3, WMP11,
> 16X DVD-ROM & ,6X DVD+/RW, IE8, OE6, DSL, via AT&T. I use these on a
> regular basis: MSE, Spyware Blaster, Ccleaner

You don't need to undo the SR, but that doesn't usually get rid of
Malware. It may have been something altogether different.

However, I would recommend downloading the free version of this tool and
let it scan your machine.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: "Dallas" Jagged on
understand & will do so bruce, & will respond once it's complete - thanks
very much

From: "Dallas" Jagged on
thanks again bruce, below is the log from the quick scan. also, when i log
in next time, it it no longer in safe mode,m right ? i have never had to do
this before, so not sure; knock wood!

"Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4152

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

5/28/2010 12:54:16 PM
mbam-log-2010-05-28 (12-54-16).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 154603
Time elapsed: 23 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:

From: Bruce Hagen on
YW. It looks like your clean. Go ahead and use your computer as normal. As
I said, since an SR fixed your issue. I didn't think it was Malware
related, but this is a good program to have and run on occasion.

Good luck.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]