From: Paul on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Aug 11, 7:18 pm, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
>> RayLopez99 wrote:
>> If you wanted an SSD, you'd probably buy that after-market and
>> install it yourself. Find an SSD drive with a SandForce controller
>> on it, and read some comparison reviews before you buy.
>
> My internet connection at the moment here in Greece is very very slow
> (slower than a dial up modem). Summer fires is the typical reason
> given this time of year. Can you recommend a SSD Drive? Can I just
> Google it or on eBay buy one? Why do I need to read comparison
> reviews? Are some of these SSD drives defective?

SSD drives range from pathetic (slow, stutters, low MB/sec bandwidth,
may fail in as little as two days), to SSD drives that are worth having.
These are some with Sandforce controllers. IOP rates listed as
Random Write 4K: 15,000 IOPS, while I think I've seen about 1200
on my ordinary hard drive here. To achieve 1200, requires most of
those commands to be hitting the cache DRAM chip on the hard drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=636&srchInDesc=sandforce

You can see one review here, where someone feels they got a lemon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=20-233-124

SSD drives still don't reduce execution times to zero, so prepare
to be underwhelmed. Depending on how many header files you have
or the like though, you might end up pleasantly surprised.

And you really should be reading your own reviews. Compare them
carefully, as this is "early adopter" technology still. You
should not buy these devices "blindly", like you would with
an ordinary hard drive.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/corsair-ssd-roundup_5.html#sect1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3661/understanding-sandforces-sf1200-sf1500-not-all-drives-are-equal/2

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2899/1

Paul

From: Paul on
geoff wrote:
> It seems to me, the real issue with SSDs is TRIM support. Some handle it
> entirely in the drive, others don't.
>
> --g

SSDs are like owning an expensive foreign car, and needing a tuneup
every week, to keep it running in top shape.

Paul

From: Paul on
RayLopez99 wrote:
> On Aug 11, 1:57 pm, RayLopez99 <raylope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Also where to buy: Dell, HP? I live overseas in Athens, Greece but
>> will get my friends to mail me a system that can ship to the USA.
>>
>> RL
>
> I decided to go buy the lowest end Dell Precision T1500 ($600)
> workstation. I would have comparison shopped elsewhere, but my ADSL
> internet connection is so slow here it's not worth the hassle!

Have you done any analysis of the effects of the "profile" being used
with your ADSL modem ? The "profile" is a cap inserted at the ISP end,
reducing the data rate to a level where there are no CRC errors.

Tools like DMT, on select modems, can tell you the error margin
or signal to noise ratio. That predicts how much bandwidth
can safely be extracted from the line.

The "profile" or maximum bandwidth setting, has to be such that
there is some noise margin left, so that there won't be excessive
errors. A slow connection *might* be caused, by a too-aggressive
profile.

DMT reads out the information inside the modem. There are multiple
downloadable versions of DMT, each of which supports a different
set of modems. DMT reads out the statistics (the "bins" used by ADSL),
and displays the result.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1300227~83b958fe55e96961420237b0edf5506a/dmt20080420_1757.png

If you collect a DMT result, or a number of them, and forward them
to your ISP, they can adjust the profile to suit the situation.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20370982-Noise-margin

I'm on a 500KB/sec service, and I'm only getting 300KB/sec, and
that is the "cap" they've set in the initial profile. I have
to complain to the ISP, to get that raised, something I haven't
wasted time on yet. Whether it can be raised, depends on SNR.
My previous ISP had the line running at 500KB/sec, but the
next one selected ~300KB/sec to start with.

HTH,
Paul