From: Non scrivetemi on
Please use wxWidgets, the multiplatform C++ class library. It's free,
open-source and non-commercial. It's modeled after MFC but it produces
code which can be compiled (using conditional compilation) into native
code executables with the speed and UI look of the platform for which
the
compile is targeted. So the Windows executable looks like (and is) a
real
Windows program, the Mac OS X executable looks like (and is) a native
Mac
OS X program and the Linux executable is and looks like a real
Linux/GTK+
application. It has been in development by a band of open-source
programmers led by Julian Smart for over a decade (17 years to be
exact)!

So code in wxWidgets and your program will run on both Windows, Mac OS X
and Linux, natively. Three for the price of one! And it's much easier to
use than MFC. Dialogs and windows are easy to design using the
wxFormbuilder WYSIWYG UI creator (open source and free).
So prepare your software to be independent of platform yet still look
'native' and be prepared for the future.

See http://www.wxwidgets.org for more information.

(this has been a non-commercial presentation)

From: Goran on
Oh, come on!

Posting something like this here is off-topic and amounts to nothing
but SPAM.

People here are not stupid. We know about cross-platform toolkits. We
also know better to know that there are bigger contenders than
wxWidgets (that would be Qt) and that there are newer, quite possibly
better designed ones (that could be Ultimate++).

That is not to say that wxWidgets is somehow bad. It is to say that
your post is bad, because it's a worthless plug. Go spew that at a
more gullible audience.

Goran.
From: Tom Serface on
I don't think it's totally off topic since many people who frequent this
board might be able to use this kind of product. I often plug products
that I like (looks like you do too ;o)

Tom

From: Fritz Wuehler on
"Goran" <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:b1e9eb9d-f257-
4c9a-9ad4-2e6bd6382dfc(a)o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com...
> Oh, come on!
>
> Posting something like this here is off-topic and amounts to nothing
> but SPAM.
>
> People here are not stupid. We know about cross-platform toolkits. We
> also know better to know that there are bigger contenders than
> wxWidgets (that would be Qt) and that there are newer, quite possibly
> better designed ones (that could be Ultimate++).
>
> That is not to say that wxWidgets is somehow bad. It is to say that
> your post is bad, because it's a worthless plug. Go spew that at a
> more gullible audience.

Qt isn't free, and doesn't use native widgets (it's 'self-drawn').
Ultimate++ doesn't have a Mac OS X port.

I do this plug once a year and it's not spam. Spam is a commercial plug
which wxWidgets isn't.

From: David Ching on
"Fritz Wuehler" <fritz(a)spamexpire-201001.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote
in message
> Qt isn't free

Both Qt and wxWidgets are licensed under LGPL.

> , and doesn't use native widgets (it's 'self-drawn').

On Windows at least, Qt uses the DrawTheme() API to natively render the
look.

> Ultimate++ doesn't have a Mac OS X port.

After looking at how much like WTL Ultimate++ appears to be, I stopped being
interested in it.

> I do this plug once a year and it's not spam. Spam is a commercial plug
> which wxWidgets isn't.

Just because wxWidgets does not have a commercial license does not change
the nature of your "plug". Discussions of alternative frameworks to MFC are
not off topic (I've discussed Qt here a number of times), but I don't title
my posts "Please use Qt" and lamblast all others as you have done.

-- David