From: Greg Russell on
I previously had this PX-712A DVD-RW in a CentOS 5.3 machine, and burned
a DVD ISO to a DVD+R disk, so I know it worked. A new machine was built
with that DVD image, "yum upgrade"d to CentOS 5.4 and then the PX-712A
was transplanted to the new machine. Now it doesn't write, and I would be
grateful for your help in discovering why.

Failures occur with dvdauthor and webmin. Webmin doesn't recognize the
drive as writable (burnable). dvdauthor fails in the cdrecord command.

Current diagnostics include:

$ dmesg | grep hdc
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache, UDMA(33)

$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw------- 1 gregr disk 22, 0 Oct 24 18:22 /dev/hdc

$ chmod go+rw /dev/hdc

$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw-rw- 1 gregr disk 22, 0 Oct 24 18:22 /dev/hdc

$ /sbin/hdparm /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

$ /sbin/lsmod | grep -Ei "cd|dvd"
ide_cd 40161 0
cdrom 36577 1 ide_cd
uhci_hcd 25421 0
ohci_hcd 24553 0
ehci_hcd 33869 0

# grep hdc /var/log/messages
Oct 24 18:22:44 centos53 kernel: ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS
settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
Oct 24 18:22:44 centos53 kernel: hdc: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A, ATAPI CD/DVD-
ROM drive
Oct 24 18:22:44 centos53 kernel: hdc: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW
drive, 8192kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Oct 24 18:23:18 centos53 smartd[3622]: Device: /dev/hdc, opened
Oct 24 18:23:18 centos53 smartd[3622]: Device: /dev/hdc, packet devices
[this device CD/DVD] not SMART capable

Inserting a new, blank DVD+R disk causes an icon to appear on the desktop
labeled ""Blank DVD+R Disc".

$ file test*
test_0.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
test_1.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
test_2.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
test_3.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

$ cdrecord test*
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (cpu-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J�rg
Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://
bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
version.
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: '/dev/cdrom'
devname: '/dev/cdrom'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily
- Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20
Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'PLEXTOR '
Identifikation : 'DVDR PX-712A '
Revision : '1.09'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
cdrecord: Found DVD+ media but DVD+R/DVD+RW support code is missing.
cdrecord: If you need DVD+R/DVD+RW support, ask the Author for cdrecord-
ProDVD.
cdrecord: Free test versions and free keys for personal use are at ftp://
ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/
cdrecord: Sorry, no CD/DVD-Recorder or unsupported CD/DVD-Recorder found
on this target.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-ROM driver (mmc_cd).
Driver flags : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/
R96R
cdrecord: Unspecified command not implemented for this drive.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: DMA speed too slow (OK for 93x). Cannot write at speed 94x.
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 94 in real TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write 0 seconds. Operation starts.
cdrecord: Unspecified command not implemented for this drive.
cdrecord: Cannot get next writable address.
From: Greg Russell on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 03:26:16 +0000, Greg Russell wrote:

> I previously had this PX-712A DVD-RW in a CentOS 5.3 machine, and
> burned a DVD ISO to a DVD+R disk, so I know it worked. A new machine was
> built with that DVD image, "yum upgrade"d to CentOS 5.4 and then the
> PX-712A was transplanted to the new machine. Now it doesn't write, and I
> would be grateful for your help in discovering why.
>
> Failures occur with dvdauthor and webmin. Webmin doesn't recognize the
> drive as writable (burnable). dvdauthor fails in the cdrecord command.
>
> Current diagnostics include:

I'll add:

# rpm -qa | grep -Ei "dvd|cdr" | sort
cdrdao-1.2.1-2
cdrecord-2.01-10.7.el5
cdrecord-devel-2.01-10.7.el5
dvd95-1.4p0-1.el5.rf
dvdauthor-0.6.11-1.2.el5.rf
dvdisaster-0.70.4-1.el5.rf
dvdrip-0.98.10-1.el5.rf
dvd+rw-tools-7.0-1.el5
libdvdcss-1.2.10-1.el5.rf
libdvdcss-devel-1.2.10-1.el5.rf
libdvdnav-0.1.10-3.el5.rf
libdvdnav-devel-0.1.10-3.el5.rf
libdvdplay-1.0.1-5.el5.rf
libdvdplay-devel-1.0.1-5.el5.rf
libdvdread-0.9.7-1.el5.rf
libdvdread-devel-0.9.7-1.el5.rf
lsdvd-0.16-2.el5.rf
qdvdauthor-1.1.0-1.el5.rf
radvd-0.9.1-4
xcdroast-0.98a15-12.2.2
From: Allen Kistler on
Greg Russell wrote:
> I previously had this PX-712A DVD-RW in a CentOS 5.3 machine, and burned
> a DVD ISO to a DVD+R disk, so I know it worked. A new machine was built
> with that DVD image, "yum upgrade"d to CentOS 5.4 and then the PX-712A
> was transplanted to the new machine. Now it doesn't write, and I would be
> grateful for your help in discovering why.
>
> Failures occur with dvdauthor and webmin. Webmin doesn't recognize the
> drive as writable (burnable). dvdauthor fails in the cdrecord command.
>
> Current diagnostics include:
>
> [snip]
>
> $ cdrecord test*
>
> [snip]

Try it as root.
From: Greg Russell on
"Allen Kistler" <ackistler(a)oohay.moc> wrote in message

>> $ cdrecord test*
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Try it as root.

Same exact issue as root user.

From: Allen Kistler on
Greg Russell wrote:
> "Allen Kistler" <ackistler(a)oohay.moc> wrote in message
>
>>> $ cdrecord test*
>>>
>>> [snip]
>> Try it as root.
>
> Same exact issue as root user.

Really? Including ...

> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
> setpriority().

So maybe not so exact, but still doesn't work, eh? Check that
/dev/cdrom exists. Or specify dev=/dev/whatever as part of the command.

BTW, does a list of non-pcm/non-wav filenames (you're feeding it a list
of mpgs) really work as anything? Usually you feed it wavs (for CD
audio) or an iso (for data).