From: Tad McClellan on
E.D.G. <edgrsprj(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> It would contain detailed
> discussions regarding how to get Perl running on both personal computers and
> Web servers.

A web server is a *program*, just as a word processor is a program.

You can run programs on personal computers.

You can run a web server program on a personal computer.

That is, a personal computer *IS* a web server if you have installed
web server software on it.

In that case, how to get Perl running on a personal computer also
covers how to get Perl running on a web server, since that personal
computer is also a web server!

Perhaps you meant how to get Perl running on disparite
Operating Systems?

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
From: Steve on
On 08/02/2010 05:47 PM, E.D.G. wrote:

> Question: What Perl language plotting modules would be good candidates
> for the following applications?
>
> ActiveState Perl 5.10 is being used with PCs running XP and Vista. The
> Perl programs being developed will also be running on a Web server
> computer.
>
> The PC versions of Perl programs that are presently running send plot
> data to the Gnuplot plotting program. However, an effort is underway to
> modify the Perl programs so that they will run on a Web server. I don't
> believe that Gnuplot can run on a Web server though I am not certain of
> that. And even if it would run there, for a number of reasons it would
> be better to do the plotting using a Perl plotting module if possible.
>
> --- The plotting module needs to be able to run on a Windows PC with XP,
> Vista, or Windows 7 in both pl and exe Perl programs. I already know how
> to generate standalone exe programs using the original Perl code.
>
> --- It needs to run on a Web sever that runs Perl programs.
>
> --- It would be nice if it would also run using other versions of Perl
> on other types of computers with other operating systems.
>
> --- The plotting functions will not be especially complex. The plotting
> module does not need to do 3D work. However, it should be able to do
> relatively simple things such as draw hollow or filled circles.
>
> --- On the PC it needs to be able to both generate plots that display on
> the computer monitor and produce copies of those plots as PNG, GIF, and
> BMP picture files. However, if it could generate PNG and not BMP files
> for example, that might still work. The files can be converted if
> necessary.
>
> --- On the Web server computer it needs to be able to generate some type
> of fairly high quality picture file such as PNG.
>
> --- When it creates plots for the Windows computer monitor it should
> have the ability to automatically display the plots as full window
> (maximum) or partial window (normal) plots.

Understand up front that I have a deplorable tendency to reinvent the
wheel....

But my first thought upon reading this post was that I would probably
look at Imagemagick.

It is (IMO) an outstanding tool to manipulate and/or create images.

It runs happily on Windows boxes, Unix, whatever, does not seem to be an
unseemly resource pig, and is very easy (perlmagick) to control from a
perl script/program.

Yes, a person would have to write code to tell Imagemagick what you
wanted it to do, but based on the OP requirements, it would seem to be
relatively trivial.

What am I missing or not thinking of?

Steve
From: Ben Morrow on

Quoth Steve <stevem_(a)nogood.com>:
> On 08/02/2010 05:47 PM, E.D.G. wrote:
> >

> What am I missing or not thinking of?

That the OP is incapable of thinking clearly enough to write a program,
and prefers to pontificate at great length about how Important
Scientific Research is being held up due to noone here holding his hand
and writing the program for him.

Ben

From: Steve on
On 08/08/2010 01:36 PM, Ben Morrow wrote:

> Quoth Steve<stevem_(a)nogood.com>:
>> On 08/02/2010 05:47 PM, E.D.G. wrote:
>>>

>> What am I missing or not thinking of?
>
> That the OP is incapable of thinking clearly enough to write a program,
> and prefers to pontificate at great length about how Important
> Scientific Research is being held up due to noone here holding his hand
> and writing the program for him.
>
> Ben

Oh.

Steve
From: E.D.G. on
"Ben Morrow" <ben(a)morrow.me.uk> wrote in message

> That the OP is incapable of thinking clearly enough to write a program,
> and prefers to pontificate at great length about how Important
> Scientific Research is being held up due to noone here holding his hand
> and writing the program for him.

Your comments are a little difficult for me to understand.

Since early in 2009, at several Web sites I have had a fairly
sophisticated Perl language .exe program available as a downloadable
freeware program for science researchers around the world. I wrote the
entire program myself. The latest update that is not yet available for
downloads is about 7000 lines of code long.

My questions in this Newsgroup usually involve Perl usages that I
myself have not attempted in the past such as running script that can visit
a Web site and capture and return data and files. I had to ask some
questions here about that script earlier this year because it would not work
with my programs. And what I eventually discovered after getting opinions
from people is that my virus software was keeping the script from working.
The error messages being generated did not clearly point in that direction.
Adjustments were made to the virus software to resolve the problem.

Also, I have clearly stated repeatedly in the past that I consider
Perl to be perhaps one of the best languages available for science
researchers to use. It is so versatile. And this present effort involves
attempts to get some documentation prepared that will make it easier for
researchers to see how they could be using the Perl language with their
efforts.

If you yourself are a Perl fan, then why not encourage that type of effort?