From: Dave Plowman (News) on
In article <pnqu06dd0b8see7aak4elch4og62e1j11j(a)4ax.com>,
<jameswaters(a)unlisted.com> wrote:
> I plugged my computer output into my stereo. Its an old 1970s stereo
> with built in cassette tape deck and phono input. There is no AUX
> input, so I put it in the phono input. It works but it's overdriven
> and distorts unless I keep the computer level real low. I know what's
> wrong. Phono inputs are highly pre-amped. Too much pre-amp for what
> I'm doing. I believe they sell attenuators, (maybe Radio Shack), but
> I was wondering if all I need to do is put a resistor on each channel
> cable. There are no longer any Radio Shack stores nearby me. Will
> the resistors work? Do I put them in series, or across the input to
> the ground? What value should I use.

A phono input is also equalised to the RIAA curve used by records. This
will cut the treble and boost the bass from your computer signal.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman dave(a)davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
From: Arfa Daily on
> In article<pnqu06dd0b8see7aak4elch4og62e1j11j(a)4ax.com>,
> <jameswaters(a)unlisted.com> wrote:
>> I plugged my computer output into my stereo. Its an old 1970s stereo
>> with built in cassette tape deck and phono input. There is no AUX
>> input, so I put it in the phono input. It works but it's overdriven
>> and distorts unless I keep the computer level real low. I know what's
>> wrong. Phono inputs are highly pre-amped. Too much pre-amp for what
>> I'm doing. I believe they sell attenuators, (maybe Radio Shack), but
>> I was wondering if all I need to do is put a resistor on each channel
>> cable. There are no longer any Radio Shack stores nearby me. Will
>> the resistors work? Do I put them in series, or across the input to
>> the ground? What value should I use.
>
> A phono input is also equalised to the RIAA curve used by records. This
> will cut the treble and boost the bass from your computer signal.

Very true, but assuming that you can live with that / correct it enough
with the computer's graphic eq control panel, then you will need two
resistors for each channel, one in series and then one to ground to form
a potential divider. I would suggest initially trying about 10 : 1 so
suitable values might be 47k ohms in series with the 'live' leg of the
feed, and then 4.7k ohms from the 'amplifier' side of that new resistor,
to the 'ground' leg of the feed.

Arfa
From: William Sommerwerck on
Try this...

http://sound.westhost.com/project80.htm

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

Well, if you don't have an AUX connector, how about one for TAPE?

That should work properly with no modification required.

William
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Right, and where should I plug it?
> The tape deck is built in, so no tape inputs either.

Oh. I guess the suggestion I just made won't work very well! :-)

If the phono input shouldn't work, I see two other possibilities--a
cassette "shell" adapter with a stereo miniplug or even a low power FM
modulator, such as the kind that are sold for portable CD players,
iPods and such.

William