From: Michael Moser on

"Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" <no(a)emails.please> wrote in message
> Of these players, I recommend the following the most:
>
> Pocket Tunes
> CorePlayer (go for this if you also need the best video support)
> Conduits Pocket Player

I started to work through Werners list:

First I tried Pocket Player, since I had tested that a few years and
versions back on an earlier device. Alas, it hasn't become more stable in
recent versions. Rather often it would simply not start. I.e. I clicked on
it in the Start menu and simply nothing happens. Only after a reboot it
would properly start up again a few times until it again refused to start.
X-ed.

Then I tried Pocekt Tunes. That one didn't have a skin for my Touch HD
(480x800 screen). The available skins were all appearing in the upper left
corner only and so small that I had a hard time to even read the titles etc.
X-ed immediately.

Then I wanted to try CorePlayer, but they don't seem to provide a test
version and after my previous experiences I refuse to buy some PPC SW
without testing it first!

And lastly I tried the HTC Audio Manager (mentioned by William in this
thread). I downloaded a .zip file that I found but couldn't figure out how
to install it. Somewhere I read, that one is supposed to move the content of
the .zip file into the device's \Program Files folder and to copy a link to
the program in the devices \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. But that
didn't work - the program would not start - even if started directly from
the \Program Files\HTC Audio Manager folder.

So, I am starting to wonder: are the *any* decent music players for Windows
Mobile that fulfill my requirements (big screens, installable, testable)?

Michael

From: Todd Allcock on

"Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser(a)nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message

> "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" <no(a)emails.please> wrote in message
>> Of these players, I recommend the following the most:
>>
>> Pocket Tunes
>> CorePlayer (go for this if you also need the best video support)
>> Conduits Pocket Player
>
> I started to work through Werners list:
>
> First I tried Pocket Player, since I had tested that a few years and
> versions back on an earlier device. Alas, it hasn't become more stable in
> recent versions. Rather often it would simply not start. I.e. I clicked on
> it in the Start menu and simply nothing happens. Only after a reboot it
> would properly start up again a few times until it again refused to start.
> X-ed.
>
> Then I tried Pocekt Tunes. That one didn't have a skin for my Touch HD
> (480x800 screen). The available skins were all appearing in the upper left
> corner only and so small that I had a hard time to even read the titles
> etc. X-ed immediately.
>
> Then I wanted to try CorePlayer, but they don't seem to provide a test
> version and after my previous experiences I refuse to buy some PPC SW
> without testing it first!
>
> And lastly I tried the HTC Audio Manager (mentioned by William in this
> thread). I downloaded a .zip file that I found but couldn't figure out how
> to install it. Somewhere I read, that one is supposed to move the content
> of the .zip file into the device's \Program Files folder and to copy a
> link to the program in the devices \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
> But that didn't work - the program would not start - even if started
> directly from the \Program Files\HTC Audio Manager folder.
>
> So, I am starting to wonder: are the *any* decent music players for
> Windows Mobile that fulfill my requirements (big screens, installable,
> testable)?
>
> Michael

Sadly, Coreplayer is the best of the lot. While I love its performance and
compatibility, I HATE HATE HATE its UI. It's as user-hostile an interface
as I've ever used.

Coreplayer's open source predecessor, TCPMP, is pretty good though its UI
won't win any intuitiveness awards either.

Personally, I stick to WMP (unless I'm playing a file it doesn't support, of
course.)

From: Mike Coon on
Michael Moser wrote:
> So, I am starting to wonder: are the *any* decent music players for
> Windows Mobile that fulfill my requirements (big screens,
> installable, testable)?

What, no others? (I ask because I've written one to match *my* requirements.
I don't have a big screen but may be able to make it "autoscale". Either
way, it would be free. GUI is basic!)

Mike.
--
If reply address is invalid, remove spurious "@" and substitute "plus"
where needed.

From: r_z_aret on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:30:59 -0700, "Todd Allcock"
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>"Michael Moser" <michael.nospam.moser(a)nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote in message
>>
>> "Werner "Menneisyys" Ruotsalainen" <no(a)emails.please> wrote in message
>>> Of these players, I recommend the following the most:
>>>
>>> Pocket Tunes
>>> CorePlayer (go for this if you also need the best video support)
>>> Conduits Pocket Player
>>
>> I started to work through Werners list:
>>
>> First I tried Pocket Player, since I had tested that a few years and
>> versions back on an earlier device. Alas, it hasn't become more stable in
>> recent versions. Rather often it would simply not start. I.e. I clicked on
>> it in the Start menu and simply nothing happens. Only after a reboot it
>> would properly start up again a few times until it again refused to start.
>> X-ed.
>>
>> Then I tried Pocekt Tunes. That one didn't have a skin for my Touch HD
>> (480x800 screen). The available skins were all appearing in the upper left
>> corner only and so small that I had a hard time to even read the titles
>> etc. X-ed immediately.
>>
>> Then I wanted to try CorePlayer, but they don't seem to provide a test
>> version and after my previous experiences I refuse to buy some PPC SW
>> without testing it first!
>>
>> And lastly I tried the HTC Audio Manager (mentioned by William in this
>> thread). I downloaded a .zip file that I found but couldn't figure out how
>> to install it. Somewhere I read, that one is supposed to move the content
>> of the .zip file into the device's \Program Files folder and to copy a
>> link to the program in the devices \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder.
>> But that didn't work - the program would not start - even if started
>> directly from the \Program Files\HTC Audio Manager folder.
>>
>> So, I am starting to wonder: are the *any* decent music players for
>> Windows Mobile that fulfill my requirements (big screens, installable,
>> testable)?
>>
>> Michael
>
>Sadly, Coreplayer is the best of the lot. While I love its performance and
>compatibility, I HATE HATE HATE its UI. It's as user-hostile an interface
>as I've ever used.

Hmm. I rather like Core Player's UI. I also prefer to deal with (find
and open) individual files, rather than libraries, which is another
reason I like Core.

>Coreplayer's open source predecessor, TCPMP, is pretty good though its UI
>won't win any intuitiveness awards either.
>
>Personally, I stick to WMP (unless I'm playing a file it doesn't support, of
>course.)

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
From: William on
On 13 Jan, 23:07, "Michael Moser"
<michael.nospam.mo...(a)nospam.freesurf.ch> wrote:
> And lastly I tried the HTC Audio Manager (mentioned by William in this
> thread). I downloaded a .zip file that I found but couldn't figure out how
> to install it. Somewhere I read, that one is supposed to move the content of
> the .zip file into the device's \Program Files folder and to copy a link to
> the program in the devices \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder. But that
> didn't work - the program would not start - even if started directly from
> the \Program Files\HTC Audio Manager folder.

Hmm... I'm puzzled. Firstly because the HTC-AM is usually a
single .exe file (sometimes packaged inside a zip). You just tap it to
run it. But secondly, and more importantly - I hadn't realised that
you had an HTC-Touch-HD. This already has the AudioManager built-in.
It's the "Music" tab on the Touchflo interface. That should play any
mp3/aac/wma file (podcasts included).

--
WH