From: Larry on
Hi,

I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with it.
Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I find it
quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to deal mostly
with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good and easy way to
deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if Poco can be use the
same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in VC++ Express. Is it
like that or do I need to do some compiling?

Thanks

From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Larry:

> I was wondering what were the main differences between POCO C++ Library
> and BOOST C++ Library. I have already downloaded the Boost library and I
> find a really good library although I still have a long way to go with
> it. Recently, I have come across the Poco library and I must admit I
> find it quite good too. I would like to use one of those libraries to
> deal mostly with threads and mutex. Yet, the Poco library offers a good
> and easy way to deal with sockets also! Having said that, I wonder if
> Poco can be use the same way as Boost. I mean just including the path in
> VC++ Express. Is it like that or do I need to do some compiling?

With Poco you need to do some compiling, yes.

Poco and Boost address different levels of programming. Boost gives you the kind
of general functionality that conceivably could be directly part of the standard
library, intended to help you build more directly practically useful
functionality. Poco is meant to give you the more directly practically useful
functionality, more like Java's standard library, at the cost of having more
dependencies between parts so that it's more of an "all or nothing" thing.

That said, I don't see what this has to do with Windows programming. Both
libraries are general, portable C++ libraries. You should have posted in a C++
group such as [comp.lang.c++], and I've cross-posted this reply there.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf